Cycles and Circles: Answers

1 Conversation

Some chronicles in a bookshelf

Last week I thought I had had a splendid idea. Turned out I erred. C'est la vie. But, since I promised, here are, without further ado, the answers to last week's questions (which I repeat here for your convenience).

  1. Q: Which byname would you give the 19th century?

    A: The century of Inventions. The century of steam. The century of electricity.
  2. Q: Who did the greatest service to humanity?

    A: Joseph Lister, who established the antiseptic treatment of wounds.
  3. Q: Who was the most important German?

    A: The former Chancellor of the empire, Otto von Bismarck, with Emperor Wilhelm I as runner-up.
  4. Q: Who was the most important woman?

    A: Queen Louise of Prussia, with Queen Victoria as her runner-up.
  5. Q: Who was the greatest poet?

    A: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, with Heinrich Heine and Friedrich Schiller as runners-up.
  6. Q: Which was the greatest event?

    A: The foundation of the German Empire (1871) with the French Revolution (1848) as runner-up.
  7. Q: Which was the most influential event?

    A: Nearly all people agreed that this had been the German-French war (1870/71).
  8. Q: Which was the saddest event?

    A: The battles of Jena and Auerstedt (1806) where the French were victorious over the Prussian and Saxonian armies.
  9. Q:Which was the main Berlin-event?

    A: Berlin is declared capital of the German Empire.
  10. Q:Who was the greatest thinker?

    A:Generalfeldmarschall Helmuth von Moltke, with Immanuel Kant as runner-up.
  11. Q: Who was the greatest painter?

    A: Adolph von Menzel, with runners-up Arnold Böcklin and Wilhelm von Kaulbach.
  12. Q: Who was the greatest sculptor?

    A: Reinhold Begas with runners-up Christain Daniel Rauch and Bertel Thorvaldsen.
  13. Q: Who was the greatest musician?

    A: Richard Wagner came far ahead of Ludwig van Beethoven.
  14. Q: Which was the most important battle?

    A: The Battle of Nations at Leipzig (1813) was twice as important as the Battle at Sedan.
  15. Q: Which was the most important event for civilisation?

    A: The abolition of slavery was more important than the conquest of the Colonies.
  16. Q: Which was the happiest period?

    A: The period since the foundation of the German Empire in 1871.
  17. Q:Which was the unhappiest period?

    A: The reign of the French over the Germans.
  18. Q: Who was the hero of the century?

    A: The German Emperor Wilhelm I got 2,400 votes, beating Otto von Bismarck by 800 votes.
  19. Q: Who was the greatest military leader?

    A: French emperor Napoleon I, with Prussian general field marshal Helmuth von Moltke as runner-up.
  20. Q: Who was the greatest statesman?

    A: The actual founder of the German Empire, former Chancellor Otto von Bismarck is voted almost unanimously greatest statesman.
  21. Q: Who was the greatest inventor?

    A: US American Thomas Alva Edison.
  22. Q: Which was the most important charitable invention?

    A: The discovery of the railway beats those of electricity, steam power, telegraphy and x-rays.
  23. Q: Who was the greatest Berliner?

    A: Alexander von Humboldt is voted greatest Berliner, with Emperor Wilhelm I as runner-up.
  24. Q: Which book had the biggest influence?

    A:Meyers Konversations-Lexikon is the winner before the Bible, Karl Marx's Capital and Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species.
  25. Q: Who was the worst wrongdoer?

    A: Napoleon Bonaparte I beats Luigi Luccheni, the murderer of Empress Elisabeth of Austria.
  26. Q: Which was the major economic event?

    A: The railway is voted as the major economic event, even ahead of the abolition of the toll gates.

Mixed Bag Archive

Bel

11.10.10 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A75344169

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more