Richard Burns - A Tribute

1 Conversation

Richard Burns
1971 - 2005


World Rally Champion
1

'The miracle never came'

His driving
Fast, a fighter

Confident, a champion

His work
Diligent, determined

Professional, perfectionist

His loves
Family and friends

Animals and art

His illness
Stoic, tenacious

Good humoured and brave

His life
Open and honest

Amazing, inspirational


Richard Burns
World Rally Champion

At peace

smiley - smiley - smiley -

Richard Burns, 2001 World Rally Champion, died aged 34 on 25 November, 2005 after suffering a brain tumour.

Born 17 January, 1971, his first experience behind the wheel of a car was at age eight in his father's car (with permission) in a field near his home. The experience left a mark because he joined an under-17s' car club at the age of 11. His early interests turned into a serious facination and after a trip to the Welsh rally school he emerged declaring he wanted to be a rally driver. He was 15.

By 1989, Richard had entered and had success in a number of minor domestic events and caught the eye of David Williams2. Williams bought a Peugeot 250 and entered Richard in the 250GTI Challange, a proving ground for young talent.

After success in the Mintex National series, Richard paired up with Alistair McRae3 at Prodrive Subaru to become the youngest winner of the British Championship in 1993. During a two-year learning curve, which was rewarded with the occasional entry into a full WRC race, earned him second place in the Asia Pacific Championship. This, plus uncertainty about Subaru, lead to Mitsubishi signing him for a rookie year with them in certain world events, resulting in a second place in the Safari Rally.

1998 was Richard's big break, partnering World Champion Tommi Makinen in the Mitsibishi Charisma. 1999 was his first full season in WRC, driving the Subaru Imprezza and finishing second overall with wins in Greece, Australia and Britain. In 2000 he mounted a serious challenge to become the first Englishman to win the WRC, but despite wins in Portugal, Kenya, Argentina, Great Britain and an early lead in the championship, he lost out to Marcus Gronholm of Finland.

The start of 2002's season did not go well, seeing him earn three points from the first four races. After coming second to Colin McRae in Argentina and second in Finland, a win in New Zealand saw his points tally beging to grow. Second place in Australia saw a chance of him taking the crown if he got a win on home soil. After McRae and Makinen retired, all Burns had to do was finish in the points, which he did — taking third place and the 2002 WRC crown and becoming the first and (to date) only Englishman to hold the WRC crown. 2003 saw him driving for Peugeot and trying to retain his crown, but he never seemed to have the luck to regain it after that.

In 2003, whilst driving to the Wales Rally GB, he blacked out at the wheel. He was diagnosed with Astrocytoma, a form of brain tumour. He underwent surgery, chemo and radiotherapy, knowing that the odds were against him. In 2004 he was able to leave hospital. For six months his health improved, but he started to relapse. Early in 2005, he underwent more surgery to help alleviate some of the symptoms, but there was to be no miracle cure.

smiley - roseRIP Richard Burns 1971 - 2005. Winner of the 2001 World Rally Championshipsmiley - rose

smiley - rosesmiley - peacedovesmiley - rose

Obits and Tributes Archive

Reefgirl

Paff

08.12.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Here are some of the words of family and friends, co-drivers, competitors and collegues.2He became a mentor and great friend.3Colin's brother.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A7536648

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more