functional viewer dysfunctions

13 Conversations

My Dad

March 13th, 2003


Dear ,



I am writing to you because you, , are possibly the only one who can help. smiley - grovel


But do not worry , I understand perfectly if you prefer not to get personally involved. Cyberspace can be a strange and frightening place, there's a lot of weirdos out there and they all seem to know who you really are.


Going online for the first time we all feel the same nervous excitement, dear . Cyberspace appears to be a 'wonderland' of sights and sounds and sites. But soon it starts wanting money from you, soon it seems to know who you are and where you live and what your preferences and weaknesses are. You have probably heard lots of horror stories about identity theft smiley - thief and no doubt you have been spammed with excruciatingly sappy form letters addressed to .

Fear not my dear . I am not seeking your financial support, only your sympathies and empathies. If you can find it somewhere in your trembling heart to spare me a little consideration, I will reveal to you one of the many ways this 'internet' thingy is rotting your brain and turning you into a paranoid zombie.


Yes I'm talking to you! If I had meant someone else I would have said someone else. Get that thru your big thick head. smiley - headhurts


Everyone is always saying just how clever and smart and intelligent really is. So I figger, by now you've figgered out that I'm talking about the clever way some websites seem to 'recognise' you, , even if you haven't told them who you are. smiley - yikes


Supposedly it has something to do with fortune cookies but I really don't know how. It probably takes a brain the size of a planet to make it work. Anyway, the technical details don't matter now because my favourite website, h2g2, recently decided to allow all member researchers to share the wonders of this gadget. smiley - cheers It is a wonderful little feature function which not only identifies you when you are viewing but it also spells out your name. That's how I know it's you, .


But then, I really don't know, do I? smiley - erm It is quite likely that I have never met or even heard of . It only looks like I know who you are. By just being here your logon name automatically appears wherever this new VIEWER function is set. Anyone else who logs on and views this page will see their name printed where you now see yours, . smiley - magic When I view this page I see my own name.


What a wonderful toy. And you , can play with it too. There might even be a way it could help with that online paranoia of yours. Knowledge is power don't ya know. smiley - wizard


smiley - peacedove

My Mom

peace,
~jwf~








To Whom It May Concern
Archive


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A760060

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more