Grits

3 Conversations


Grits (guh-ritz) are a common item in the southern United States, which are usially served for breakfast.



'What are grits?' you ask? Good question, even though you might not like the answer. http://www.dictionary.com says that they are 'coarsely ground hulled corn boiled as a breakfast dish in the southern United States'. (such as Cream 'o Wheat, which is much more tasty), which are either boiled in a pot on the stove in water in the traditional form (which are bought in canisters * like oats come in), or mircowaved with water in the instant form (that come in single serving packets, purchaced at the grocery store).



Once they are cooked, they should have the consistancy of oats or cream of wheat.



After being microwaved, they are usially served hot, so be careful. You can eat them plain, or with any assorted sweetener (such as honey, maple syrup, or sugar), milk, or in the worst case, bacon grease. (no joke. One can purchace single serving packets of instant grits that are bacon grease flavoured. Yuck.)



Also, if you are in the Southern United States, you can purchace one of God's greatest mistakes at the Cracker Barrel (see one of my other entries) in large and small quanties, all hours of the day.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A760150

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more