Binning Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Binning

4 Conversations

Binning is a strange phenomenon which developed in the Secondary Modern1 schools of the United Kingdom during the early 1980s. It is still unknown in some quarters of society but is remembered with fondness by the perpetrators and with horror by its victims.

It involved taking the smallest child in a class and inserting him, bum first, into the classroom bin. This resulted in the child sinking to his/her armpits and knees and is therefore unable to escape without assistance. This child is then considered 'Binned'.

A 'Total Binning' would occur when the strongest pupils in the class then lifted the pupil, and attached bin, onto the teacher's desk. The irony of this torture was that the teacher would then punish the pupil in the bin further adding to the humiliation of the 'Binnee' and to the amusement of the 'Binners'.

1Secondary Modern schools, for Americans and Middle Classes are a step into integrating working class louts into education by calling a spade a manual excavation facilitator. Secondary Modern essentially means 'Big School, built recently, for louts'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A786431

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more