Candle Magic Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Candle Magic

1 Conversation

A candle and its reflection.

Candle magic is, for those with a belief in such things, one of the most effective and simple forms of spell-casting. It is commonly used by pagans and witches - followers of the pagan philosophy of Wicca - but we have almost all used it at some point, even if we do not realise it. Ever blown out the candles on a birthday cake while making a wish? It really can be as simple as that, but it can also be more elaborate if you choose.

Before you begin, you obviously need to have a clear idea of what it is that you wish to achieve. Think this through carefully, considering if it is what you really want and how your intended outcome might affect others. It is always good to bear in mind that the Wiccan rede, or law, an harm it none do as ye will, was written for a reason and anything that does not sit comfortably with this is grey magic at best.

Choosing your Candle

Once you are sure of both your objective and your motives you can choose the colour of your candle. Colour has an important impact on how we think and feel. This is equally important in magic. If you can't find the colour you need, white is all things and will always suffice. Never feel you have to use a colour you don't like as the negativity could affect your outcome.

A Brief Summary of Colours

  • Gold - The sun, attraction, money, autumn

  • Silver - Overcomes negativity, the moon

  • White - Truth, purity, spirit, peace

  • Red - The south, summer, fire, sex, life force, energy, passion

  • Orange - Adapting to different circumstances, motivation

  • Pink - Female energies, love, romance, friendship

  • Yellow - East, air, artistic abilities, the mind, laughter, happiness, concentration

  • Light Green - Fertility, spring, creativity, progression

  • Dark Green - Good fortune/luck, earth, money, the north, growth, strength

  • Light Blue - Cooling, calming, healing, cleansing, water, west, vocal expression

  • Purple/Dark Blue - Water, west, protection, psychic abilities, spirituality, knowledge

  • Brown - Grounding, winter, security, stability, earth

  • Black - Release of deep negative energy, banishing

Naming the Day

You may also wish to pick an appropriate day on which to use your candle. Different days have different planetary influences and are believed to be governed by different deities concerned with different areas of life.

  • Monday - Psychic abilities/concerns, feminine matters, intuition, emotions

  • Tuesday - Action, sexual matters, courage, war

  • Wednesday - Mental ability, communication, creativity

  • Thursday - Money, success, business/work matters, politics

  • Friday - Love, fertility, friendship, beauty, new projects

  • Saturday - Responsibility, discipline, delay, protection

  • Sunday - Healing, strength, ambition, achievement

Decorating your Candle

Once you have chosen your candle, you might like to decorate it. You can do this in any way you choose, the more personal the better. You can use ribbon, runes, astrological symbols, or anything at all. You may also wish to anoint your candle with an appropriate oil, whatever feels right for you. Decorating your candle helps you to focus your intent for the spell.

Sacred Space

Before you actually begin your spell, it is useful to create a sacred space in which to work. This not only helps very much in focusing and being relaxed enough, but also keeps friendly energies in and negative ones out. There are many ways to create a sacred space, from the simplest to the most elaborate - used either when you have the time or most likely for reasons of ritual - and this is quite a personal thing: over time, you will find your own ways. To get started, though, sit comfortably with a plain white candle burning and all you'll need for your spell to hand, including your specially selected spell candle. You should also remove any jewellery or watches and switch off the phone and television to remove outside distractions.

While focusing your attention on the white candle's flame, take deep breaths, breathing in the world around you. Try to feel the white light of the candle tingle along the whole length of your spine, and slowly breathe out all your worries and the everyday world. Once you feel completely relaxed and at peace imagine a bubble of bright blue light surrounding you. If you wish you could also say a few words, such as:

North, east, south and west, help me with the magic you know best, earth, air, fire and water please guard and bless me from your quarter. Hail and welcome.

You are now ready to begin.

The Spell

Moving your plain white candle to one side and lighting your coloured candle, you may wish either to speak your objective out loud or to write it as a rhyme and then burn the paper in the candle's flame. You may also choose to bury the ashes outside. If you want to, you can add herbs, flowers, a photograph, or whatever feels appropriate and will aid your focus on the object of your spell. However, you must always end any spell with: For the good of all and harm to none, so mote it be now it is done - or words to that effect. This ensures that if your spell is not for the good of all it will not work, so sparing you karmic consequences!.

After you have finished your spell, say 'thank you' to your deity of choice and allow your spell candle to burn down in a safe place such as a ceramic pot. The white one can be extinguished.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Edited Entry

A7951539

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more