Police Public Call Box: The Winner's Story

1 Conversation

Rotating images of Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

The Winner's Story

On the 25th October 2005, the eleventh National Television Awards were held at the Royal Albert Hall in London. I don't remember it and I didn't watch it, but as a Doctor Who fan I now think of it as a good day. The new relaunched series of Doctor Who had proven a hit at the ceremony and they had won three shiny awards; the Ninth Doctor – Christopher Eccleston won 'Most Popular Actor', his companion Rose – Billie Piper won 'Most Popular Actress' and the show won 'Most Popular Drama'.

The following year, the same happened, and Doctor, companion and show all won awards. Of course, this was now with Tenth Doctor actor David Tennant, soon to become an NTA favourite. 2007 saw a win for 'Popular Drama' and 'Popular Actor' but with Rose's adieu, Martha Jones actress Freema Agyeman failed to gain popularity over Eastenders' Stacey Slater.

The show in October 2008 was an important one in Doctor Who history. The categories of 'Actor' and 'Actress' had been changed and now encompassed both genders in an 'Outstanding Drama Performance', pitting the Doctor against feisty companion Donna Noble (Catherine Tate). The show won 'Most Popular Drama' and David Tennant won 'Drama Performance'. David wasn't at the ceremony as he was busy performing 'Hamlet' for the RSC. He accepted his award via video link during the interval and delivered some shocking news in his speech: He was leaving Doctor Who.

The Awards were not held in 2009, conveniently allowing the Doctor Who fans to witness the full year of the Tenth Doctor's Specials and the end of his era of the show. On the 20th January 2010, not long after the regeneration, David Tennant and Doctor Who yet again, won awards. Thus congratulating the five-year run of Russell T Davies' Doctor Who, going out celebrating.

So, we come to 2011 and this year's NTAs, the Whovians all out, expecting another sparkling win from the Doctor. Somewhat curiously though, it didn't come. Waterloo Road came out top of 'Most Popular Drama' and both of Steven Moffat's leading characters (Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, Matt Smith as the Doctor) shivering under David Jason's Frost.

There was one website that explained why this was rather well and I agree. This marks a change from the big, bold, RTD era. Tennant and his Doctor were all perhaps a bit 'showy' and the show was all a bit glam. The Smith/Moffat era is based in that and needs to be credited that (the NTAs put the Doctor right into the action in a special clip at the start of the show).

Because top quality shows don't need annual awards to make them worthy, or to validate them. Doctor Who, a show about an alien time traveller in a blue box who can go anywhere in time and space certainly doesn't."
– Kasterborous.com

I think the show is now settling back into the 'cult' slot where it used to be, for the kids and the geeks. Perhaps I'm wrong. What do you think? Did the fans vote? Should they have voted? I suppose we'll never know.

Police Public Call Box Archive

Auburn Time Lord

07.02.11 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A80837940

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more