Edward VII memorial clock tower, Clifton Crescent, Birkenhead, Wirral

1 Conversation

Isolated and forlorn, this Grade II listed building is situated on a raised grassy triangular plot of land near Birkenhead town centre. Traffic on the fly-over rush past it just metres away on their way to Birkenhead Tunnel. Even on the ground traffic users don't have time to notice this clock tower as they enter a busy round about system. While pedestrians have to be mindful crossing the various roads to notice the tower as it is over shadowed by the imposing fly-over.

This overlooked clock tower is a memorial to the reign of Edward VII (22/1/1901 - 6/5/1910). The tower is roughly 40 to 50 feet in height from it's base and is made from Portland stone (creamy white in colour). The description from the Heritage gateway website states that it has a stepped base to a square rusticated plinth, which seems to mean that the plinth is made to look like large bricks. The plinth on it's four sides has a profile of Edward VII, a relief of the royal coat of arms, the inscription "King Edward VII A.D. 1901 - 1910 Erected by public subscriptions. Arthur W. Willmer mayor A.D. 1911.". The final side has a narrow doorway giving access to an internal stairway, presumably to the clock mechanism. On the main column are four lions in each corner and eight Doric fluted shafts supporting the clock housing. The housing is an elaborate piece of masonry with four clock faces beneath a dome finished with a carving of the Sovereign's orb as its pinnacle.

The overall look of the memorial could be described as classical in style. There is a small amount of graffiti on the plinth. While the plinth and main column are clean, the clock housing looks rather grimy. When the tower was built it was located in front of Birkenhead Central station, a picture taken in 1903 in A century of Birkenhead & Wirral Events (2007) shows the tower in the background. While a picture in Wirral Chronicles volume 1 has a picture from 1938 showing the tower in a different location (its present). It seems that it was moved 50 meters, but for what reason? The nearby flyover was built after 1965. (http://www.tunnelusers.org.uk/history.htm)

On the parcel of land on which it sits on are some disused and locked subterranean public conveniences. Sometimes youths can be seen congregated around the tower, but access is limited to the Central Hotel side of the island.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A81497983

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more