Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana

0 Conversations

FIRST DRAFT - PLEASE BEAR WITH ME WHILE I GET MY FACTS STRAIGHT


The Republic of Botswana is a landlocked African nation, enclosed by neighbouring nations, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and South Africa. The government of Botswana is committed to preserving its natural heritage, and has devoted some 17% (one sixth) of the total 600,370 sq. km. total footprint (slightly smaller than Texas, U.S.A.), to wildlife reserves. One of these reserves is the Moremi Game Reserve.


Location

In globally geographical terms, Moremi Game Reserve is situated at roughly 19° 10' degrees south and 23° 24' degrees east. Locally, this puts it just over 100 km. north of the regional administrative hub of Maun, and in the eastern sector of the famed Okavango Delta.


Ancient History

Geologists believe that once upon a time, the Okavango and Chobe-Zambezi rivers flowed through the area of the Makgadikgadi to the middle Limpopo valley and thence to the sea. Warping of the earth's crust, associated with the extension of the Great African Rift [valley] south-westwards to beneath the sandveld of the Okavango Delta area, has halted the Okavango in its tracks.

Now, as the Okavango spills over the Gomare fault line, the river divides into a reticulation of small watercourses, and then is trapped in its distinctive panhandle shape by the Kunyere/Thamalakane fault lines, some 90 km away to the south-east.


Recent History

In a bid to put an end to overhunting that was decimating the wildlife, Moremi Game Reserve emerged as a concept in 1961 and was approved by the Tawana people, under the regency Mrs Pulane Moremi, widow of Chief Moremi III, at a kgotla in 1963. The area was then officially designated as a Game Reserve in April 1965, and was administrated by the Fauna Conservation Society of Ngamiland. In 1976, Moremi was extended to include Chiefs Island, and in August 1979 responsibility for the reserve was taken over by the Department of Wildlife and National Parks. In 1991 it's borders were extended again to it's present 4,871 sq. km. size, spanning the entire territory between the Boro River to the west and Chobe National Park to the east, and occupying almost a third of the Okavango Delta area.


Features of the Reserve

As Moremi sits on the brim of the Okavango Delta, so the western section of the reserve consists of swamps with some large islands, whilst the eastern 'inland' section is predominantly dry. This gives the Reserve considerable eco-diversity, which is perhaps why, despite its remoteness, it is so attractive to visitors. It is extremely beautiful, composed of vast grass flats, low tree-covered ridges and lagoons. Moremi rates as one of the leading wildlife areas in southern Africa and must certainly be one of the most beautiful.

Inside the reserve, on the mainland section, which accounts for around 30% of the total area of the Reserve, there is a network of tracks which essentially form a ring-road linking the four camp sites. Leopard, lion, buffalo, zebra, impala, eland and kudu feature among the big-game to be spotted in Moremi, which is also famed for its 'lone-bull' elephant population. There is a Hippo Pool, situated 14 km. from the northern entrance to the reserve which is appropriately named, and which has an observation platform from which to observe the hippopotami.

To the west, there is Mboma Island, which enjoys heavy concentrations of wildlife in the dry season and one stands a good chance of seeing elusive cheetahs hunting, and the Mopane Tongue; a forest that extends out in a South and Westerly direction especially attracting elephant and buffalo.

Visitors' Facilities

There are four public camping grounds in Moremi: Magwee, Khwai, Third Bridge and Xanaxa.

Magwee

Maqwee, situated just inside the South Gate entrance 100km north of Maun, offers seven shaded camping spots, with an ablution block equipped with showers, hand basins and flush toilets. Water standpipes and picnic tables are conveniently placed within the camping ground.

Khwai

Khwai, situated at the North Gate entrance, a further 30 km north of Magwee is similar in all respects to Magwee. Khwai village, just outside Moremi, houses the relocated Bugakhwe people whose village was until 1963 within the boundaries of the reserve. The village has a (very) limited selection of food goods for sale. The boundary of the Park at is defined by the River Khwai, and the mopane pole 'bridge over the River Khwai' is perhaps one of the most photographed pieces of civil engineering infrastructure in southern Africa, as much for its rusticity as its name.

Third Bridge

Third Bridge, situated 58 kilometres northwest of Magwee, is named after the wooden bridge straddling the Sekiri River, which both bisects the campsite and which is quite literally the third bridge to be crossed when travelling from Magwee. This is a very popular campsite and is possibly the only campsite in Moremi still to retain the flavour of a true wilderness experience, often exacerbated by the complete and utter disrepair of any of the facilities there. The water that flows under the bridge here looks clear, cool and inviting – but would-be swimmers should beware of crocodiles.

Xakanaxa

Xakanaxa is situated about 15km northeast of Third Bridge on the road to Khwai. The public campsite which accommodates seven camping pitches, is situated along the edge of the Okavango Delta on a narrow strip surrounded by marsh and lagoon, and is serviced (in theory at least) by an ablution block and water standpipes.

Private Camps

The Xakanaxa area contains most of Moremi's proliferation of private camps, which offer those visitors who don't want to 'rough it' the choice of waterborne and landbased game-spotting expeditions combined with relatively luxurious accommodation. With one of Africa's largest heronries, this area is renowned as a bird-watchers' paradise. Potential sighting includes marabou and saddle-billed storks, egrets, wood, sacred and glossy ibis, and several heron species.


Matters Pertaining to Access and Egress

Most visitors to Moremi will arrive by road, either from Maun in the south, or through Chobe from the North.

The road north from Maun is black-top as far as Shorobe, and then after an all too brief experience on a wide gravel road, it is necessary to engage 4WD to negotiate the deep sand. Turning left at the obvious fork, the road eventually arrives (20 km. later) at the South Gate, 100 km from Maun.

Arriving from the north, travellers by 'road' will have come through Chobe National Park - it is about a day's drive from Savuti ... details of the two routes to follow!


Making a Booking

The Government of Botswana strictly limits entrance to its National Parks and Reserves. Thus, it is advisable to make reservations well in advance. Such reservations can be made through either of the two reservations offices:

Parks and Reserves Reservation Office
P.O. Box 20364, Boseja, Maun, Botswana
Location: Next to Police station in Maun

Parks and Reserves Reservations Office
P.O. Box 131, Gaborone, Botswana
Location: in the Government Enclave of Gaborone, opposite the end of Queens Road

Opening hours: 7:30am - 4:30pm, closing for lunch from 12:45pm to 1:45pm (Monday to Saturday) and closing at 12 noon on Sundays. Public holidays are normal working hours. Closed only on the 25th December.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A822872

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more