New Echota Historic Site, Georgia, USA

0 Conversations

New Echota was the capital of the Cherokee Nation before they were forcibly deported by the state of Georgia. Today, it is a state park maintained by the Department of Natural Resources.


Vistors can start their tour by visting the museum and watching a breif movie about the history of the site. Then tour the restored, rebuilt and moved buildings on the site. The location can be thoroughly explored in about 4 hours.


Only one original building remins on the site. The Worcester House has been restored to its original condition. Several buildings, such as the Supreme Court, Council House and the print shop where the Cherokee Phoenix was printed. Several buildings have been moved to the site, including some house sites and Vann's Tavern.


History


In the 1800s, the Cherokee Nation adopted the dress and lifestyles of the white Americans. They even took on their form of government. They formed a republican form of government and had black slaves.


In 1819, the Cherokee Council their meetings in Newtown, which was near the center of the nation. On November 12, 1825, the council adopted Newtown as the permanent national capital. They also changed the name of Newtown to New Echota after the town of Chota in Tennessee.


New Echota was a small community of some 50 people and four stores. The town was something of a crossroads. There was a ferry just north of town that crossed the Coosawattee and Consauga rivers. When the council met, hundreds of Cherokee came to the small town.


In 1826, the Cherokee government established a printing press in New Echota. The Cherokee Phoenix1, a bilingual2 weekly newspaper was published there. It had circulation throughout the Cherokee Nation, the United States, and even made its way to Europe. The press also published numerous books, including the Bible, hymnals, and a novel.


In the 1820s, gold was discovered Dahlonega. Treaties between the United States and Georgia prohibited white men from living within the Cherokee Nation. However, there was also an agreement between the United States and Georgia in 1802. It stated that the federal government would remove all Indians3 would be removed from Georgia in return for Georgia giving up claims to what would later become Alabama.


Georgia created several laws designed to make life in Cherokee nation intolerable. One of them made it a violation of state law for white men to live within the Cherokee Nation. Samuel Worcester, a missionary, school master, post master, and resident of New Echota4, was arrested by state authorities. The Supreme Court of the United States sided with Worcester and the Cherokee Nation5. They recognized the Cherokees as a sovereign, but dependent nation. President Andrew Jackson ignored the decision.


Some Cherokee leaders believed that they were doomed to defeat and expulsion. They thought they should cooperate to have some control over the expulsion. Some Cherokee leaders signed the Treaty of new Echota on the night of December 29, 1835. The treaty surrendered all Cherokee lands east of the Mississippi River in exchange for $5 million. The treaty was approved by Congress and signed by President Jackson in 1836. The Cherokees had 2 years to vacate their land. The main signers of the treaty, Major Ridge, John Ridge, and Elias Boudinot, were killed. Signing treaties without the consent of the council was a capital offense among the Cherokee.


In 1838, the 13,000 remaining Cherokee were rounded up by the Georgia Guard and the Army. They were confined in forts until they were escorted to their new lands in Oklahoma. 4000 Cherokee died along the way, which is why it is now known as the Trail of Tears.


When the Cherokee left, New Echota was converted into farmland. Only one home remained standing, although it was in very poor repair. In the 1950s, the land around New Echota was purchased by local citizens and given to the state. A series of excavations began in 1954, and they fixed the locations of the buildings. Then several buildings were rebuilt, and the Worcester house was restored. Vann's Tavern was moved 1955 when the Chattahoochee was dammed and its original location was flooded by Lake Lanier. In 1962, the site was rededicated and the laws expelling the Cherokee were repealed.


Driving Directions


Take I-75 north from Atlanta or south from Chattanooga. Take exit 317 and go east on Georgia Highway 225. The park is just off of the interstate.


From the Chief Vann House State Historic Site, go south on Georgia Highway 225, and you'll come to New Echota just before the interstate.


Admission is $2.50-$3.50. You can call for further information at 800-864-7275.

1Copies of a Cherokee Phoenix are for sale at the museum.2It was published in English and Cherokee using the syllabary created by Sequoyah.3Obviously Americans Indians.4The Worcester House was his home.5Worcester v. Georgia, 6 Pet. 515 (1832)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A840331

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more