Writing Right with Dmitri: A Google Challenge

0 Conversations

Words, words, words. That's what we're made of. Herewith some of my thoughts on what we're doing with them.

Writing Right with Dmitri: A Google Challenge

A man in green with a feather in one hand and drawing a theatre curtain with the other

Last night, I watched a delightful little film from last year, and it gave me an idea about us and writing practice. First, let me tell you about the film, which you may want to watch.

It's called The Decoy Bride. And no, it isn't Romanian New Age Cinema. I know you expect me to watch nothing but boring, intellectual films, but I'm going to disappoint here: this film is a British romantic romp with a light-weight and totally improbable plot, a lot of talented actors, and some gorgeous scenery. Ignore the snobbish critics: The Decoy Bride is one of those quirky projects pasted together with local grants, I suspect from the film company titles. CinemaNX? Really? And something about Ecosse? The result: the story takes place on an island in the Outer Hebrides, but was filmed on the Isle of Man and in some Scottish castle. The film's not taxing to watch. Awix, our keen film reviewer, would probably hate it. There's no CGI at all, and the only fight choreography occurs when Hamish Clark attacks David Tennant in some heather. (Jason Statham has nothing to worry about, believe me.)

The set-up: Wildly desirable US film star Lara Tyler (Alice Eve) has chosen a mate: dorky English novelist James Arber (David Tennant). The reason? James is responsible for Lara's favourite novel, a weighty tome entitled The Ornithologist's Wife. Lara has memorised every blessèd sentence of this monumentally overwritten yarn, set on the island of Hegg. James, on the other hand, is longing to forget he ever wrote it, and has writer's block about his next book. Lara and James want a quiet wedding, but Lara is besieged by paparazzi, so her manager comes up with the genius idea of moving the wedding to Hegg. Lara is delighted. . .

James, not so much. For one thing, James has never set foot on Hegg before. As Lara's manager disgustedly remarks, 'He googled the whole background.' The manager makes this sound like a crime. James comes to find out that the Hegg Book Club only gave his masterpiece 4 out of 10, partly because the book is 'soulless', and partly because James's version of Hegg bears little or no resemblance to the real place, apart from its being an island in the Atlantic.

The real Hegg has no rare birds for the Ornithologist and his Wife to gawk at. There is a castle, sure, but it's not full of stuffed owls. On the other hand, there's an ancient and haunted public toilet with the ghost of a drowned cow. The average age of the 75 inhabitants is. . . about 75. They're a feisty bunch. Oh, and the place is famous for its hedgehogs and odd local customs.

Of course James falls in love with Decoy Bride Katie (Kelly MacDonald). Of course everything works out in the most delightful way possible – but not until somebody utters that fateful line:

'Write what you know.'

In the end, Katie writes a guidebook to the real Hegg, ghost cow and all, and James writes about his broken heart. The head paparazzo, an Italian, exhibits his collection of hedgehog photos and meets the girl of his dreams at the gallery. (Guess who?) All is well.

The Mission, Jim, Should You Choose to Accept It

Here's my challenge: go googling.

Pretend you're James and you don't take that advice. Find an obscure place you know nothing about. Google it. Study its profile, its customs, its layout. It could be exotic and remote, like Katmandu or Timbuktu, or merely obscure, like Mule Shoe, Texas. Find out what you can, using only internet resources.

Then write a short story set in this unfamiliar locale. Incorporate as much of your new-won knowledge as possible. Make your tale adventurous. Or make it romantic. Or thoughtful. Or science fiction. Or whatever. . .

A hedgehog.

As the Decoy Bride herself says, 'Oh, my God, I'm at the Ornithologist's wedding. Well, it could be worse, I could have been at Steven King's. . . '

When you've written your story, post it to the Alternative Writing Workshop and leave a note at the bottom of this page. We'll have fun reading, and, sneaky me, we'll have some future copy for the Post. Who knows? Maybe somebody from the place you're describing will turn up and rate your take on their hometown.

Oh, and get The Decoy Bride, if you can. It's a pleasant way to spend an evening.

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.07.12 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87764269

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more