The Great British Medals of the 1908 Olympics

0 Conversations

It has been claimed that Great Britain's medal haul of the 2012 Olympic Games, comprising 65 medals, 29 of which are gold, is the country's best result for 104 years. 1908 was the first time that Britain hosted the Olympics, it was only the 4th Games of the modern era, and Great Britain won 146 medals - 56 of them being golden. It continues to stand as the largest number of golds, and of medals overall, that Britain has won at a single Olympiad. But the question could easily be asked: how on Earth did that happen? And could it happen again?

Host Nation bounce

The early Olympics of the modern era were particularly prone to 'home nation bounce' - the tendency of host nations to perform abnormally well during the games.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87767897

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more