The Post Quiz: Major Weather Events - Answers

0 Conversations

Rain, snow, sleet, and early-morning volcanos. We hate the weather.

Major Weather Events Quiz: Answers

Bright sun and heavy clouds

Who knew the weather could be so treacherous? Apparently, everybody back in the Mesolithic. After all, Al Gore warned them about global warming…

Here are some major historical events. All weather-related.

  1. What were Britons near the Channel complaining about in 6100 BCE? (No, it wasn't the football results.) The fact that they were suddenly on an island. Before that, Britain was attached to the Continent. Britain left the EU abruptly, when a giant tsunami triggered by a melting ice mass struck the north-east of England, travelling 40 km inland and separating the island from the mainland. The Channel River basin was no more.
  2. Of course, everybody knows the weather gods love England. What did they do to defeat the Spanish Armada in 1588? Stirred up a hurricane. Not fun, being in a wooden ship in a hurricane.
  3. A strange hysteria gripped New England in 1692. What bizarre legal proceedings were inspired by unfortunate weather conditions? The Salem Witchcraft Trials. The cold, wet weather caused hallucinogenic smut to grow on the rye crop. It wasn't witches. It was mouldy bread.
  4. Apparently, they scare easily in New England. What probably caused people in 1780 to think the world was coming to an end? Strong winds, and forest fires in Canada. You can read all about the great weather apocalypse here No zombies, though.
  5. What is the connection between weather and the French Revolution? Crop failure. Drought, followed by killer hailstorms, drove food prices sky-high. People were ready to riot – and they did.
  6. What meteorological phenomenon is commemorated in Edvard Munch's painting 'The Scream'? The weird skies caused by Krakatoa. 1883 was a weird weather year, due to a powerful volcano.
  7. What strange rain had people running for cover in Bath, England, in 1894? A rain of jellyfish. We have no further information on this event, so don't ask.
  8. What prolonged weather phenomenon drove people out of Oklahoma in their thousands in the 1930s? Dust storms. The Dust Bowl, also known as the 'Dirty Thirties', ruined crops and rendered farmers destitute. It caused a mass exodus in the direction of California, and inspired Woody Guthrie to become a major musical influence.
  9. What weather phenomenon may have caused the Hindenburg disaster? A lightning storm. Not the storm itself, but the static electricity. Scientists think the built-up charge may have been earthed by the technicians mooring the great zeppelin, setting off the explosion. In other words, the balloon had one massive case of static cling.
  10. What did most to defeat Hitler's Russian campaign in 1941? Winter weather. It was said that soup ladled from boiling vats froze on the way to the bowl. Brr. Russia's biggest ally: the Frost King.

How did you do? Amazing how potent the weather is. No wonder we talk about it all the time. Rain or shine, though, we'll weather the storm…just as long as it doesn't rain jellyfish!

An artist's impression of the sky turning dark during the day.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

17.02.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87822831

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more