The h2g2 Literary Corner: Maud Muller and the Road Not Taken

0 Conversations

Sometimes the road not taken can break our hearts. Sometimes, it just makes you laugh.

Maud Muller and the Road Not Taken

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: it might have been.

In 1856, American poet John Greenleaf Whittier published a poem called 'Maud Muller'. The illustration above by W.J. Hennessy is from an 1867 edition. It's a sad poem. Maud Muller is a poor but lovely country girl. One day, she happens to meet a local judge, who's out riding. They exchange a few words. They're rather taken with each other. Maud would like to marry the judge and move up in the world, while the judge wishes he could be a farmer and have a simple life, as long as he could spend it gazing into Maud's hazel eyes. But they don't say anything.

The judge marries a rich society woman, and is unhappy. Maud marries an uneducated farmer, has a lot of kids, and gets beaten down by life. Both spend the rest of their lives thinking about the what-if. As Whittier puts it, 'For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: "It might have been!"' And that saying has become a byword for missed opportunities.

Bret Harte, on the other hand, thought this was all bunk. His parody, 'Mrs Judge Jenkins', imagines the couple married – with less than salubrious results. Maud gets stout, and her grammar embarrasses the judge, who thinks, 'And there be women as fair as she/Whose nouns and verbs do more agree'. Her relatives are no picnic, either. The judge bores the socks off Maud, too. Harte concludes:

If, of all words of tongue and pen,

The saddest are, 'It might have been,'


More sad are these we daily see:

'It is, but hadn't ought to be.'

The moral of this story is probably that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

13.07.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87856357

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more