Spoils of War: Early Baseball

1 Conversation

Baseball: the moral equivalent of war.

Early Baseball

You think you know baseball? Think again. The game is old, by US standards, though it is now an international game. Back in the 19th Century, they played differently. And they had different terms for things. Do you know what a 'muffin' is? No, not that bran confection you had for breakfast. A baseball 'muffin' was a really bad amateur player. This may be related to a phrase for missing a catch, which we can't mention because the filther hates that word with a passion, even if it's applied to the ears of certain penguins.

Back in the 1867, people worried about unnecessary roughness on the baseball field. Yeah, we know. Laughable when you think about football of any kind, but there you have it. This sport was considered a bit dangerous when played by guys sporting side whiskers. Here are some pics.

The dangerous manoevre of stealing second base. The picture shows the diamond off to advantage.

Stealing second base.

Two players trying to catch the same ball.

A baseball collision.

Some bad players, or 'muffins'.

Baseball muffins.

Finally, a medical shot.

Baseball injuries.

There might be a moral in here. If you find it, let us know.

Spoils of War Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

31.08.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87858959

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more