The h2g2 Literary Corner: Spanish Fly

0 Conversations

Today, the Literary Corner takes a look at games played by boys in the 1860s. We express concern about one of them, starting with the name.

Spanish Fly1

A handkerchief used as an instrument of torture. Boys will weaponise anything.

From Every Boy's Book: A Complete Encyclopaedia of Sports and Amusements, 1869. It was published in London. Of course.

This game is capable of being varied to any extent by an ingenious boy2, but it is generally played in the following way: – One boy, selected by chance3, sets a back, as in "fly the garter4," and another is chosen leader5. The game is commenced by the leader leaping over the one who gives the back, and the other players follow in succession; the leader then leaps back, and the others follow; then they all go over in a cross direction, and return, making, in all, four different ways6. The leader then takes his cap in both hands, and leaves it on the boy’s back while he is "overing," and his followers perform the same trick; in returning, the last man takes the lead, and removes his cap without disturbing the others, and each boy does the same: this trick is repeated in a cross direction. The next trick is throwing up the cap just before overing, and catching it before it falls; the next, reversing the cap on the head, and so balancing it while overing, without ever touching it with the hands; both tricks must be performed while leaping the four different ways. The leader, with his cap still balanced, now overs, and allows his cap to drop on the opposite side; the others do likewise, but they must be careful not to let their caps touch the others, nor to let their feet touch any of the caps in alighting; the leader now stoops down, picks up his cap with his teeth, and throws it over his head7 and the boy’s back; he then leaps after his cap, but avoids touching it with his feet. The other players follow him as before. The next trick is "knuckling," – that is to say, overing with the hands clenched; the next, "slapping," which is performed by placing one hand on the boy’s back, and hitting him with the other8, while overing; the last, "spurring," or touching him up with the heel9. All these tricks must be performed in the four different directions, and any boy failing to do them properly goes down, and the game begins afresh.

Ed. Note: We expect the kid who 'sets a back' in this exercise in insanity to spend many fruitful hours in therapy.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

31.08.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Really, people. Even in 1869, we expect better than this.2We're sure this is true, but don't encourage them.3Or the fact that he's easily duped.4Is it just us, or do these games have rather chancy names for the under-twelve crowd?5Aka, biggest bully.6If you're not dizzy at this point, you were slacking off.7If successful, this trick will qualify said boy to join the circus, thus sparing his parents further expense on his education.8This is getting unnecessarily abusive. Call the school office, NOW.9We see lawsuits…lots of lawsuits…and an exposé in the Daily Mail.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87858986

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more