Go Figure

0 Conversations

Go Figure

A man and his moustache.

See that photo and poem? We were first drawn to this wonder in the 1915 issue of the Normalogue, the yearbook of the North Adams, Massachusetts, Normal School, because of the principal's moustache. It is a magnificent moustache. It has Presence. That moustache could have its own Facebook page.

And then there was the poem. Unfairly, no credit is given to the actual author of the poem. Never fear, if it's anywhere in cyberspace, the Post Editor will find it. . . aha! In the Friends' Intelligencer of First Month [January, Quakers are worse than French Revolutionaries] 25, 1908, the poem is credited. Good for the Quakers. . . oh no: the poem is by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Ms Gilman is generally adored by feminists for her evocative piece of fiction, The Yellow Wallpaper. But this poem. . . 'he', 'each man', what gives?

Ah, well. This Normal School – a teacher-training college – must have been full of young males. They probably wanted to emulate the principal's moustache. . . let's see if we can find a class picture of these fine fellows. . .

North Adams, MA, Normal School Class of 1915, some fine young ladies.

Times change. People were shorter then. The past is another country. Pick your cliché. Pah.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.09.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87894346

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more