The Little People of North America

1 Conversation

Can you learn anything from 'kiddie lit'? Try this tale from Stories the Iroquois Tell Their Children, a labour of love and folklore published in 1917 by Mabel Powers. The author is not engaging in 'cultural appropriation': she has collected signatures from chiefs of Iroquois nations attesting to the fact that they told her the stories and asked her to preserve them for all children of all ethnicities to learn from.

We're pleased she did. This excerpt lets us in on a little-known North American fact: there are fairies in those woods. Some of them throw rocks. And they speak Iroquois.

The Little People of North America

The American children have no fairies of their own. They must borrow their fairies from children of other nations. Yeh sen noh wehs1 thought it very sad, so she put a magic feather in her cap, and winged moccasins on her feet. Then she went on the chase for real American wonder stories, and for real American fairies.

Had there not been a feather in the magic cap she wore, Yeh sen noh wehs would not have found them. But the feather pointed the way to the Nature Wonder Trail, and there she caught a glimpse of the "Little People," – the only true American fairies.

 A feather 

The Little People

All children who live close to Mother Earth come to know and to see the fairies of the flowers, the woods, the rocks, and the waters.

Iroquois Little People, or Jo gah oh.

These fairies the Iroquois call the Jo gah oh, or "Little People," because they are so small. The Little People can do wonderful things. Whatever they wish, they can do. They can fly through the air. They can dart under or through the water, into the earth and through the rocks, as they please, for they wear invisible moccasins and travel in winged canoes.

Their wee babies are carried on the little mothers' backs, – just like the Indian's papoose. The little fathers have wonderful winged bows and arrows, that can shoot any distance they wish.

The Little People bring good luck to the Indians. Whatever Indian boys and girls wish for, – if they wish hard enough, the Jo gah oh will bring to them2.

It is said that there are three tribes of these Little People, – those that live in the rocks beside streams and lakes, those that hover near the flowers and plants, and those that guard the dark places under the earth.

The rock Little People are very strong. They can uproot large trees and can hurl great rocks. Sometimes they dare the Indians to a test of strength with them. They also like to play ball with stones3.

The Red Children fear the Stone Throwers, as they call them. But they love the little folk that help the flowers to blossom, and the fruit and grains to grow and ripen.

They remember these Little People in their Feasts of Thanksgiving, for do the Jo gah oh not help the sweet waters of the maple to flow? Do they not whisper to the growing seeds and show the way to the light? Do they not guide the runners of the strawberries, turn the blossoms to the sun, and paint the berries red? They also tint the grains, and give to the corn its good taste4.

A third tribe of Little People dwell under the earth. They guard the sacred white buffaloes, and keep the serpent monsters that live in the darkness below from coming to the surface to the Red Children5.

There are trails that lead out to the sunlight, but the Little People guard them close, although sometimes a great serpent will find the trail of a spring, and will follow it and poison the waters6.

Often, at night, these elves of the dark come to the upper world to dance with the other Little People.

Wherever you find a tree in a deep, dark part of the wood, around which no grass will grow, there you may be sure a dance ring has been formed. There the Little People have danced till the moon dropped out of the sky7.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

16.10.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1=Mabel Powers. The Iroquois of New York gave the writer this name, which means 'the one who tells the stories.'2Is this where Walt Disney got his philosophy?3Which means you don't want to get hit by a fly ball.4I want these guys in my garden.5They have probably met Smaug. They may not have been impressed.6See? Hobbits take note.7Note for NASA: not literally. Poetry is involved here. However, think about their technology: I want one of those winged canoes!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87896623

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more