Bores of the Past: William Stokes

1 Conversation

Bores of the Past: William Stokes

A diagram illustrating how the thing to be remembered is supposed to affect different parts of your head: eyes, ears, mouth, and brain. It doesn't make sense to us, either.

archive.org lists William Stokes as (1839- ), but we suspect he's dead. If he weren't, he would be in the Guinness Book of Records. All we really know about him was that in the 1870s, he touted himself as an authority on mnemonics, the 'science' of memorising things. The book we stole the picture and 'poem' from is called Memory, appropriately enough, and was published in 1874. It's really awful. We think you should read it. You need a laugh.

From the book, we glean that Stokes lived in London, where the, er, 'experts' came from. Among other distinctions, he was a lecturer at the Crystal Palace School of Art, Science, and Literature (we can imagine), and Professor of Memory at the City of London College. But when we find that he was 'late of the Royal Colosseum', we are speechless. Our imaginations run riot. Wasn't that the building they constructed to hold Thomas Hornor's 'Panoramic View of London', the largest painting ever made? That was a cyclorama. Ah, that's why he was 'late'. They tore that down in 1874. Curiouser and curiouser…

Stokes' mnemonic technique might please some of you – I won't say who – because it seems to involve bad puns a lot. It also involves making exactly the same sort of associations as were natural to Mr Stokes. If you can manage to think like a uniquely-mentated 19th-century lecturer from a cyclorama, we don't want to know about it. Keep it to yourself.

Enjoy the 'poem'.

A poem about how memory involves picturing horses in your head. Now quick: which way is the horse facing? Aargh.
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

19.03.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87906234

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more