New Hampshire as Locus Amoenus

1 Conversation

New Hampshire as Locus Amoenus

Molly trying to guard all the keyboards so that the Editor won't play them.
Locus amoenus (Latin for 'pleasant place') is a literary topos involving an idealized place of safety or comfort.

W*k*p*d**

Since this month's Create topic involves pleasant places, we thought we'd introduce you to the concept of the locus amoenus. This week's paean to the glories of Old New Hampshire comes from a piece of 1906 sheet music we stumbled across on archive.org. The lyrics are by Robert F Roden and the score is by J Fred Helf. Roden also penned 'My Little Georgia Rose' and the no-doubt poignant 'The Biggest Thing in a Soldier's Life (is the letter that comes from home)'. Helf, composer of over 100 songs, including the 1898 heartbreaker 'Please Mr. Conductor Don't Put Me Off the Train'1, was born in Kentucky. Helf's amazing career was cut short at the age of 45, a clear loss to music posterity.

This score, which is here reproduced in full for our keyboardists and vocalists to practice – remember, we want your videos! – can be enjoyed in all its glory on Youtube.

archive.org's curators appear to be aware of the sometimes dodgy nature of older pop culture. They've included this caveat:

Some of these resources may contain offensive language or negative stereotypes. Such materials should be seen in the context of the time period and as a reflection of attitudes of the time. The items are part of the historical record, and do not represent the views of the library or the institution.

We are warned. But we think this one's pretty safe, except for those of refined musical tastes. We add the warning that after J Fred Helf, you may decide that you prefer rap music.

Ain't You Coming Back to Old New Hampshire, Molly?Ain't You Coming Back to Old New Hampshire, Molly?Ain't You Coming Back to Old New Hampshire, Molly?
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.04.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1They don't write them like that anymore. We are grateful.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87906973

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more