History of the World (for Kids): Semiramis the Feminist

0 Conversations

History of the World (for Kids): Semiramis the Feminist

The Story of Semiramis on a plate, by Avelli da Rovigo, Urbino, 1534

It's nice to look in the archives and find a really authoritative book that covers all the bases. Such is True Stories: Chronologically Arranged, from the Creation of the World to the Death of Charlemagne, by A Mother. We couldn't resist.

The 'Mother' in question turns out to be prolific British children's author Maria Elizabeth Budden (c1780–1832). We liked the way she waxed enthusiastic about Semiramis, obviously an early feminist icon. You go, girl. Obviously, all of these stories are true: it says so on the cover.

The illustration shows the story of Semiramis on a plate, by Fra Xanto Avelli da Rovigo.

How Babylon Got Started

Well, this great Flood, or deluge, as it is sometimes called, took place about four thousand years ago. And even now, signs of the deluge – signs that the sea once covered
what is now dry land – are to be found; for, in some high mountains, far from the ocean,
the bones of fish and marine animals are discovered; so that all sensible persons are sure
a flood really did happen.

Look into a map of the world for Asia, The first men and women of whom we read lived in Asia; and the first city of any consequence [importance] was the famous city of Babylon – built in Asia.

Nimrod, the great-grandson of Noah, a brave and clever man, fought many battles, and became the king of a large country, called Assyria; among many other cities, he built the beautiful city of Babylon. After his death, a queen, named Semiramis, improved and ornamented it. I will tell you how Semiramis became a queen. Nimrod had a son, called Ninus: he also was a great conqueror, and gained many battles; at last, he laid siege to a city called Bactria [like the camels, not 'bacteria', silly], but found it very difficult to obtain possession of this place. Now, one of his chief officers had a wife, named Semiramis: she was a woman of uncommon courage, and had as much sense as courage; her parents were obscure, but I suppose she had taken pains to improve herself, and to make herself brave and skilful. People can do more in teaching themselves than any body can do for them1.

Semiramis went to the king, and told him how she thought he might conquer the city of Bactria2; the king did as she advised, and he soon gained it. Ninus loved the woman who had shown him the way to gain what he desired; and when the husband of Semiramis saw this, being afraid of the king's power, he went and killed himself. When her husband was dead, Ninus married Semiramis: thus she became a queen; and Ninus, at his death, left her all the countries he possessed.3

Semiramis was so fond of Babylon, that she almost built it anew, and added some fine
palaces and temples so that it was long celebrated for its grandeur and beauty. Semiramis was also much admired for her sense and spirit, and for the clever manner in which she governed a great nation. She not only built cities, but she went out with a large army, and fought amidst her soldiers, and obtained many victories. One day, when she was dressing herself, word was brought that there was a tumult in the city; she ran out instantly, with her hair half dressed, and never thought of finishing her dressing till she had restored peace to her people4.

Another time, when she was marching a great army against a king of India, as soon as he heard of her coming, he sent to ask her who she was, and why she came against him. "Tell your master," replied Semiramis, "I will soon let him know who I am." They met, and fought, and the king wounded Semiramis in two places; but he did not kill her, for she escaped with part of her army, and returned to Babylon.

Soon after her return, her son rebelled against her; and she, instead of punishing him, gave up the throne to him, and, retiring from court, passed the rest of her life in peace and privacy5.

The Assyrians always loved Semiramis for the good she had done for them. We are told
that China, also a vast country in Asia, was well peopled, rich, and flourishing, so far back
as the reign of Semiramis.

Abraham, of whom you read in the Bible, was born in Chaldaea, a part of Assyria, A. C.
1996, soon after the death of this celebrated queen.

Editor's Note: Now, are you edified?

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

21.05.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1It's these little bits of homespun wisdom that truly distinguish high-quality kiddie lit.2Obviously a self-taught military strategist. Or she watched a lot of Game of Thrones.3If there was a moral in there anywhere, we missed it.4A ruler to whom affairs of state are more important than looking good is a keeper, we suspect.5Amazingly sensible.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87909952

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more