Final Acts of Mercy on the Road to Oblivion

0 Conversations

Awix is the expert. For ridiculous opinions on cinema, you get me.

Final Acts of Mercy on the Road to Oblivion

Ninja filmmakers from olden times.
Man that is in honour, and understandeth not, is like the beasts that perish.

Psalm 49:20, Authorised Version
Cargo

2017, Australian

Writer: Yolanda Ramke

Directors: Yolanda Ramke and Ben Howling

Starring: Martin Freeman, Anthony Hayes, Caren Pistorius

One day, when I worked for gamers, I overheard a fellow gamemaster say to another, with evident satisfaction, 'Now, that is the definitive zombie movie.' I almost choked. I loathe post-apocalyptic films. The bad kind bore me half to death. The good kind tear my heart out. Cargo is the good kind.

When Cargo was over and I choked back the last sob, I realised that I had finally understood the purpose of zombie films. After all, every horror film is a response to the discovery of a primal fear generated by the errors of human history: vampires represent the fear that the old, bad bloody ways of our ancestors are still lurking in the graveyard to threaten us. Mad-scientist horror is an attempt to deal with our misuse of technology1. The zombie stories of the 1920s and 1930s were about the dawning realisation that colonialism left a terrible legacy. Werewolves are fear of nature, which is why they're so old-fashioned in the age of satnav. And so on. I never understood the post-Romero zombie until now.

Post-Romero zombies confront the fear that humans will lose their humanity entirely. Like all the other fears, this one is fear of judgement: to rid itself of the plague that is humankind, might not the planet itself devise a way to destroy the breed? What would be more logical than to end this thinking primate by destroying its ability to think? Poetic justice: the creature that rapes the planet reduced to a mindless beast intent only on the consumption of its own kind? The penny drops. I finally get it. Colour me slow-witted.

It's not an illogical fear, that one. However, most of the other films are no help in dealing with it. They just revel in carnage and jump scares. You're supposed to cheer for the best-looking actors to survive. What use is that? Cargo is a different film. Cargo is about redemption. (I did not say it had a happy ending. Don't try to pin that one on me.)

I can't tell you the plot. That would be one big spoiler. I can't even tell you why you'll finish the film, if not sobbing, at least with a lump in your throat. I can't tell you why I'm convinced the filmmakers needed a talent like Martin Freeman's to pull it off. You'll have to see it to understand all that.

I can tell you the setup: a loving couple with a one-year-old baby daughter are discovered on a houseboat on a river in Australia. The government is dropping 'containment kits' containing the pitiful help it can offer. There's a map of Australia showing where the viral outbreaks are. A card, like the emergency cards you get on airplanes, outlines the bleak progression of the disease, from bile-vomiting to end-stage burying-your-head-in-the-Outback-dirt full zombiedom. A chic slimline plastic bracelet is provided with an automatic timer to count down your last 48 hours of sanity – digital, of course. One final mercy is included in this official kit – a spring-operated icepick. Visual instructions are clear: point at temple, steel self for impact. At least you'll die human. We get to examine these items early in the film. That's not the horrible part. It's just the toolkit we need to understand Andy Rose's choices if he wants to save his daughter Rosie. In the end, he and others discover their own acts of mercy. And that's all I'm going to tell you about it.

The film doesn't drag. It doesn't feature overdone music or artificial jump scares. It's visually impressive without being obvious. No actors chew scenery. There are no wild scenes of action and carnage with fast vehicles and high-powered weaponry. The story will torture you, though, if you're paying attention to what's going on. There's a lot of showing rather than telling here.

The most we can expect of any film is that, when we are finished watching, we feel that we've experienced a moment of clarity – that we have increased our understanding of one of these questions to which, allegedly, the answer is 42. Cargo does this. It's on Netflix. Go see it.

Just don't use it for a date movie.

Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

09.07.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Just this week, I discovered why so many mad scientists are German. It isn't Frankenstein. It was a zoological institute in Vienna in the early 1900s where they did experiments like transplanting insect heads. Even the Viennese thought they were weird, and not quite respectable. A trope was born.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87913254

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more