Things We Don't Know About Anymore

2 Conversations

Things We Don't Know About Anymore

These days, everybody's head is full of ephemeral trivia: – who occupies what political office, who the latest media stars are, what's on television, the latest fashion, etc. All of this seems terribly important at the moment, but stop and think: twenty years from now, how much of it will you remember? Stick a pin in your past, I dare you, and tell me (without Googling) what the hit record was that summer, or what everybody was wearing, or which item nobody could live without….

The past was no different. I've stumbled upon a book by 'Q' (in reality, Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch, who, as SashaQ would say, 'should have been an h2g2 Researcher') called The Astonishing History of Troy Town, originally published in 1888 and available online courtesy of Gutenberg.org.

This very funny book has so much trivia in it that we don't recognise today that it's almost in a foreign language. I'm going to do the best I can to gloss the hard words and expressions. If I have to give up, I will appeal to you, the Reader, to help out. Let's see if 1888 is as incomprehensible as 2018.

IN WHICH THE READER IS MADE ACQUAINTED WITH A STATE OF INNOCENCE; AND THE MEANING OF THE WORD "CUMEELFO1".

People sitting around a table playing cards.

"Any news to-night?" asked Admiral Buzza, leading a trump2.

"Hush, my love," interposed his wife timidly, with a glance at the Vicar. She liked to sit at her husband's left, and laid her small cards before him as so many tributes to his greatness3.

"I will not hush, Emily. I repeat, is there any news to-night?"

Miss Limpenny, his hostess and vis-à-vis4, finding the Admiral's eye fierce upon her5, coughed modestly and announced that twins had just arrived to the postmistress. Her manner, as she said this, implied that, for aught she knew, they had come with the letters.

The Vicar took the trick6 and gathered it up in silence. He was a portly, antique gentleman7, with a fine taste for scandal in its proper place, but disliked conversation during a rubber8.

"Twins, eh?" growled the Admiral. "Just what I expected. She always was a wasteful woman."

"My love!" expostulated his wife. Miss Limpenny blushed.

"They'll come to the workhouse," he went on, "and serve him right for making such a marriage."

"I have heard that his heart is in the right place," pleaded Miss Limpenny, "but he used –"

"Eh, ma'am?"

"It's of no consequence," said Miss Limpenny, with becoming bashfulness. "It's only that he always used, in sorting his cards, to sit upon his trumps – that always seemed to me –9"

"Just so," replied the Admiral, "and now it's twins. Bless the man! what next?"

It was in the golden age, before Troy became demoralised, as you shall hear. At present you are to picture the drawing-room of the Misses Limpenny arranged for an "evening": the green rep curtains10 drawn, the "Book of Beauty" disposed upon the centre table11, the ballad music on the piano, and the Admiral's double-bass12 in the corner. Six wax candles were beaming graciously on cards, tea-cakes and ratafias13; on the pictures of "The First Drive," and "The Orphan's Dream,"14the photographic views of Troy from the harbour, the opposite hill, and one or two other points, and finally the noted oil-painting of Miss Limpenny's papa as he appeared shortly after preaching an assize sermon15. Above all, the tea-service was there – the famous set in real silver presented to the late Reverend Limpenny by his flock, and Miss Priscilla – she at the card-table – wore her best brooch with a lock of his hair arranged therein as a fleur-de-lys.

I wish I could convey to you some of the innocent mirth of those "evenings" in Troy – those noctes Limpennianae16when the ladies brought their cap-boxes (though the Buzzas and Limpennys were but semi-detached neighbours)17, and the Admiral and his wife insisted on playing against each other, so that the threepenny points never affected their weekly accounts18. Those were happy days when the young men were not above singing the "Death of Nelson," or joining in a glee19, and arming the young ladies home afterwards20. In those days "Hocken's Slip" had not yet become the "Victoria Quay," and we talked of the "Rope Walk" where we now say "Marine Parade." Alas! our tastes have altered with Troy21.

Yet we were vastly genteel. We even had our shibboleth22, a verdict to be passed before anything could hope for toleration in Troy. The word to be pronounced was "CUMEELFO," and all that was not Cumeelfo was Anathema.

So often did I hear this word from Miss Limpenny's lips that I grew in time to clothe it with an awful meaning23. It meant to me, as nearly as I can explain, "All Things Sanctioned by the Principles of the Great Exhibition of 185124," and included as time went on –

  • Crochet Antimacassars25.
  • Art in the style of the "Greek Slave26."
  • "Elegant Extracts27," and the British Poets as edited by Gilfillan28.
  • Corkscrew Curls29 and Prunella Boots30.
  • Album Verses31.
  • Quadrille-dancing32, and the Deux-temps33.
  • Popular Science34.
  • Proposals on the bended Knee35.
  • Conjuring36 and Variety Entertainments.
  • The Sentimental Ballad.
  • The Proprieties37, etc., etc., etc.

The very spirit of this word breathed over the Limpenny drawing-room to-night, and Miss Priscilla's lips seemed to murmur it as she gazed across to where her sister Lavinia was engaged in a round game38 with the young people. These were Admiral Buzza's three daughters, Sophy, Jane, and Calypso – the last named after her father's old ship39 – and young Mr. Moggridge, the amusing collector of customs. They were playing with ratafias for counters (ratafias were cumeelfo), and peals of guileless laughter from time to time broke in upon the grave silence of the whist40-table.

For always, on such occasions, in the glow of Miss Limpenny's wax candles, Youth and Age held opposite camps, with the centre table as debatable ground; nor, until the rubber was finished, and the round game had ended in a seemly scramble for ratafias, would the two recognise each other's presence, save now and then by a "Hush, if you please, young people," from the elder sister, followed by a whispered, "What spirits your dear girls enjoy!" for Mrs. Buzza's ear.

But at length the signal would be given by Miss Priscilla.

"Come, a little music perhaps might leave a pleasant taste. What do you say, Vicar?"

Upon which the Vicar would regularly murmur –

"Say, rather, would gild refined gold, Miss Limpenny."

And the Admiral as invariably broke in with –

"Come, Sophy! remember the proverb about little birds that can sing and won't sing."

This prelude having been duly recited, the Misses Buzza would together trip to the piano, on which the two younger girls in duet were used to accompany Sophia's artless ballads. The performance gained a character of its own from a habit to which Calypso clung, of counting the time in an audible aside: as thus –

Sophia (singing): "Oh, breathe but a whispered command."

Calypso: "One, two, three, four."

Sophia: "I'll lay down my life for thee!"

Calypso: "One, two, three, four."

– the effect of which upon strangers has been known to be paralysing, though we who were cumeelfo pretended not to notice it. But Sophy could also accompany her own songs, such as, "Will you love me then as now?" and "I'd rather be a daisy," with much feeling. She was clever, too, with the water-colour brush, and to her we owe that picture of "H.M.S. Calypso in a Storm," which hangs to this day over the Admiral's mantelpiece.

I could dwell on this evening for ever; not that the company was so large as usual, but because it was the last night of our simplicity. With the next morning we passed out of our golden age, and in the foolishness of our hearts welcomed the change.

It was announced to us in this manner –

The duets had been beaten out of Miss Limpenny's piano – an early Collard, with a top like a cupboard, fluted in pink silk and wearing a rosette in front; the performers, on retiring, had curtseyed in acknowledgment of the Vicar's customary remark about the "Three Graces"; the Admiral had wrung from his double-bass the sounds we had learnt to identify with elfin merriment (though suggestive, rather, of seasick mutineers under hatches), and our literary collector, Mr. Moggridge, was standing up to recite a trifle of his own – "flung off" – as he explained, "not pruned or polished41."

Maiden, what dost thou in the chill churchyard?

The hush in the drawing-room was almost painful – for in those days we all admired Mr. Moggridge – as the poet tossed back a stray lock from his forehead, flung an arm suddenly out at right angles to his person, and began sepulchrally –

"Maiden" –

(Here he looked very hard at Miss Lavinia Limpenny.)

"Maiden, what dost thou in the chill churchyard

Beside yon grassy mound?

The night hath fallen, the rain is raining hard

Damp is the ground."

Mrs. Buzza shivered, and began to weep quietly42.

"Maiden, why claspest thou that cold, cold stone

Against thy straining breast?

Tell me, what dost thou at this hour alone?

(Persuasively) The lambs have gone to rest.

The maiden lifted up her tearful gaze,

And thus she made reply:

'My mother, sir, is –

But the secret of her conduct remains with Mr. Moggridge, for at this moment the door opened, and the excited head of Sam Buzza, the Admiral's only son, was thrust into the room.

Maiden, what dost thou in the chill churchyard –

"Maiden, what dost thou in the chill churchyard – "

"I say, have you heard the news? 'The Bower43' is let."

"What!"

All eyes were fixed on the newcomer. The Vicar woke up. Even the poet, with his arm still at right angles and the verse arrested on his lips, turned to stare incredulously.

"It's a fact; I heard it down at the Man-o'-War Club meeting, you know," he explained. "Goodwyn-Sandys is his name, the Honourable Goodwyn-Sandys, brother to Lord Sinkport – and what's more, he is coming by the mid-day train to-morrow."

The poet's arm dropped like a railway signal. There was a long pause, and then the voices broke out all together –

"Only fancy!"

"There now!"

"'The Bower' let at last!"

"An Honourable44, too!"

"What is he like?"

"Are you sure?"

"Well, I never did!"

"Miss Limpenny," gasped the Admiral, at length, "where is your Burke45?"

It lay between the "Cathedrals of England" and "Gems of Modern Art"; under the stereoscope. Miss Lavinia produced it.

"Let me see," said the Admiral, turning the pages. "Sinkport – Sinkport – here we are – George St. Leonards Goodwyn-Sandys, fourth baron – H'm, h'm, here it is – only brother, Frederic Augustus Hythe Goodwyn-Sandys, b. 1842 – married – "

"Married!"

"1876 – Geraldine, eighth daughter of Sheil O'Halloran of Kilmacuddy Court, County Kerry – blank space for issue – arms: gules, a bar sinist46 – Ahem! Well, upon my word!"

"I'm sure," sighed Mrs. Buzza, after the excitement had cooled a little – "I'm sure I only hope they will settle down to our humble ways."

"Emily," snapped her husband, "you speak like a fool. Pooh! Let me tell you, ma'am, that our ways in Troy are not humble!"

Outside, in Miss Limpenny's back garden, the laurestinus bushes sighed as they caught those ominous words. So might Eden have sighed, aware of its serpent.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

20.08.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1I'm not glossing that word. No, it does not mean 'covfefe'. Read the excerpt. If you can't guess by the end what 'cumeelfo' means, go and ask Superfrenchie.2Nothing to do with Donald or brass horns. The admiral is playing a card game.3Our sarcasm meter is pegging.4=person sitting across from him. Back in the day, men and ladies were placed vis-à-vis, because this was before #MeToo and they hadn't learned yet that encouraging men to stare down ladies' décolletage wasn't nice. Ben Franklin, the old reprobate, invented bifocals just so he could look down ladies' dresses across the dinner table. He admitted this. We owe this optical breakthrough to the disgusting practices (and poor lighting) of the past.5See previous footnote.6More card talk. It means he won those cards. It isn't naughty.7=fat and old.8=card game.9In other words, he didn't play cards very well.10Rep=a plain-weave fabric with prominent rounded crosswise ribs (Merriam Webster).11Okay, this is obviously a 'coffee table' book, like the first h2g2 book (and the next one, just wait). But I can't find it. I can find a 'Book of Beauty', but it's by that awful Cecil Beaton, and he wasn't even born until 1904. Can anybody locate this tome?12For Americans=bass fiddle. For some reason, they thought it was a cool instrument.13A kind of biscuit. I think.14These were popular prints that showed 'good taste'. Anybody got any good links?15According to the Oxford Handbook of the Early Modern Sermon (there's a book for everything, I suppose), an assize sermon was 'a preaching sub-genre that is mostly concerned with the connections between justice administration and religious tenets.' I don't want to think about what a modern one of those would be like.16Q is being cutesy with the Latin, making it sound all 'classical' and everything.17As near as I can figure: even though they lived next door, they put on hats and brought their cap-boxes to change hats with, just as if they'd been driving for a mile or more.18Very sensible, that.19=song for singalong. Modern men, not so young, are also not above singing 'Death of Nelson' in public. Enjoy.20No. They did not give them guns. 'Arming them home' meant 'walking them home, arm in arm.' Seriously.21In other words, the town's become more upscale and la-di-da with time.22A shibboleth is a Gretchenfrage. Ask Tavaron.23'Awful' meaning 'awesome'.24=a very great exhibition in London.25=crocheted doily that went on the back of a fabric-covered armchair to protect it from 'macassar', which was gentleman's hair product of choice at the time and left nasty stains on the furniture.26Found it!27Jane Austen gave her niece a copy.28Gilfillan was a 'Spasmodic' poet. Think Vogon.29Also called 'sausage curls'.30=with uppers made of wool.31Like writing in the high school yearbook, only flowery-er.32=square dance.33=slow waltz.34What kind of Science this was can only be imagined.35So that's where that came from. Future generations are not grateful.36=stage magic.37=complex rules of social behaviour.38=a card game with no partners like the grownups had. WS Gilbert mentions them in his classic 'When You're Lying Awake with a Dismal Headache'.39Hey! The Admiral has something in common with Jacques Cousteau.40=grownup card game.41You know, like 'the h2g2 Poem'.42The h2g2 Poem has also been known to have this effect on poetry lovers.43This must be a house. Note to foreigners: English people still do this, name their houses. It's weird, but it's a thing. We have spotted one such in Western Pennsylvania. It's down a winding road that leads to the tiny hillside village of Emlenton, PA. The sign proudly proclaims the mini-estate's title as 'The Sticks'.44=semi-demi English title.45=Burke's Peerage, book of Who's Who in the title game.46Bar sinister=backwards bar on the coat of arms, which indicated illegimitacy somewhere along the line. Made Victorians blush, because it made them think of Sex. Frankly, though, almost anything made them think of Sex. See postmistress discussion above.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87916224

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more