A Poem Edited by JRR Tolkien

0 Conversations

A Poem Edited by JRR Tolkien

The impossibly clever and rather brilliant JRR Tolkien looking askance.

Editor's Notes: If you look up 'harvest' in the Internet Archive, you'll get 5000 book titles: some simply called 'Harvest', others called 'Something Harvest' or 'Harvest Something'. It's a popular title. This book is called A Spring Harvest, and it contains poems by an Oxford man who died too young.

Geoffrey Bache Smith was a good friend of JRR Tolkien's. They went to school together, and were also friends at Oxford. Then came the First World War. Smith and Tolkien joined up. Smith died at the Somme while Tolkien himself was in hospital. Smith had written to his friend, '….may you say things I have tried to say long after I am not there to say them if such be my lot.' Scholars have noted the profound influence that the war had on The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien lost almost all his friends in that conflict. He edited his friend's work in a 1918 collection, to which he wrote a very simple preface.

Here's one of Geoffrey Bache Smith's poems. Be kind when you read it: he died at 22. If you have lived longer, work harder. We owe it to the ones who didn't get the chance.

To an Elzevir Cicero

Dust-covered book, that very few men know,

Even as very few men understand

The glory of an ancient, storied land

In the wild current of the ages' flow,

Have not old scholars, centuries ago

Caressed you in the hollow of their hand,

The while with quiet, kindly eyes they scanned

Your pages, yellowed now, then white as snow?


A voice there is, cries through your every word,

Of him, that after greatest glory came

Down the grey road to darkness and to tears;

A voice like far seas in still valleys heard,

Crying of love and death and hope and fame

That change not with the changing of the years.
The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

24.09.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87918394

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more