Jazz Babies Concert #1: My Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now

2 Conversations

Jazz Babies Concert #1: My Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now

Jazz for Bears by Library of Congress.

The Post Editor got a really cool Christmas present: a stack of old sheet music. This has led to a new video series I'm calling 'Jazz Babies Concerts'. This one is a singalong. Learn the outstanding lyrics, please.

All day long I sing a song,

I sing a song because nothing's wrong….

Irving Caesar was born Isidore Keiser in New York City in 1895. His dad was from Romania. He grew up with the Marx Brothers. His lyrics were usually better than this: he wrote the words to 'Swanee', 'Sometimes I'm Happy', 'Crazy Rhythm', and 'Tea for Two', which was a best-seller. My personal feeling is that the team just had to come up with a song before they left work that day, and they were desperate.

Cliff Friend (1893-1974) came from Cincinnati, Ohio, where his father was first violinist in the orchestra. Along with this deathless tune, Cliff composed 'The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down'. You know this song, but you don't know you know it. Ever watch a Looney Tunes cartoon? It's the theme song. Look it up on Youtube.

Both of these guys worked in what was called Tin Pan Alley, a stretch of West 28th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues that was home to thousands of pianos, all playing at once. This is apparently where the name came from. Can you imagine the sound of hundreds of thousands of jangly piano keys going all at once? Worse than hip-hop. Anyway, Tin Pan Alley was the hit music factory of its day: New York City's Motown and Nashville rolled into one. Fortunes were made on sheet music, I kid you not. I'll tell you more as we go along.

In the meantime, enjoy 'My Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now'.

Click here for the video, or watch the embedded version in your Pliny-skin page.


Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

21.01.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87927817

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more