Women Should Be on Statues, Too

1 Conversation

Women Should Be on Statues, Too

Nancy Hart shooting Tories

Plus ça change department: You think it's a new thing that people decry all those monuments to dead white males, and demand instead that we honour women of note? It is not new, friends. Here's a similar plea recorded a century ago, in 1913. From Revolutionary Reader: Reminiscences and Indian Legends, by Sophie Lee Foster, courtesy of Project Gutenberg.

The 'Redoubtable' Nancy Hart

It is generally accepted that the most conspicuous figure among the Georgia women of the Revolution is the famous Amazon of Elbert County, the redoubtable Nancy Hart. She was undoubtedly the foremost fighter from the ranks of the colonial dames North or South, and her brave and thrilling exploits were indubitably of a rank and character to entitle her to an exalted place in the American temple of fame.

The portrait of Nancy Hart while in repose, is that of a formidable warrior – when in action, she must have been a female Apollyon, dire and terrible, a veritable incarnation of slaughter and threatenings. Six feet in height, cross-eyed, ungainly in figure, redheaded, big hands, big feet, broad mouth, massive jaw, sharp of tongue and rude in speech1, she was a picture before which a Redcoat, a Tory, or a bachelor, well might quail. "She was a honey of a patriot2 but the devil of a wife," is the reading of the record – the tribute of a neighbor who lived in the bloody times which made her known to fame.

It is related that in later years [1828], a resolution was introduced in the legislature of Georgia providing for an equestrian statue of General Jackson – representing his horse in the act of plunging forward, the warrior pointing his sword with martial eagerness towards the foe – to be placed in the capitol of Georgia. A patriotic member of the body arose in the assembly and protested that he would not vote for the resolution unless the legislature should likewise authorize a painting of Nancy Hart fording the Broad River with a tory prisoner, bare-headed and bare armed, her dress tucked up, her jaws set, her big hands suggestively pointing the musket at her cringing captive3.

It does seem a matter for regret that some such recognition is not given by the State to the daring and valor of this Georgia heroine. The history of no other nation can boast of a braver or more invincible woman, and it should be a matter of state pride among Georgians to honor her memory and commemorate with painter's brush, or sculptor's chisel, her splendid and heroic achievements in the cause of American Independence.

More About Nancy Hart

It's hard to separate fact from legend, but Nancy Hart seems to have been a pistol. She couldn't read or write, but got quite a reputation as a Patriot spy and sniper. Several prominent US political figures have been descended from her, including Henry Clay of Kentucky and Thomas Hart Benton of Missouri.

After the Revolution, Nancy Hart is said to have been converted to Methodism, and to have become a 'shouting Christian'. We're sure that whatever she did, she did it loudly and with gusto.

Unfortunately, we still can't find any statues of Nancy Hart. We would pay good money to see this lady on a statue. She did get a county and a lake in Georgia named after her, though.

The Literary Corner Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

28.01.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Ms Foster means 'uneducated', not that she cussed a lot. Although she might have done that, too.2'Patriot' was a political position. It meant you were for independence, or as they called it, 'independency'.3And here we are in the 21st Century, finally planning to take Old Hickory off the $20 bill and put Harriet Tubman on there. The mills of historical justice grind slowly.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87928375

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more