Sacheen Littlefeather and Marlon Brando's Oscar Refusal Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Sacheen Littlefeather and Marlon Brando's Oscar Refusal

0 Conversations

A feather

Marlon Brando won the Best Actor in a Leading Role Academy Award for The Godfather (1972), but he didn't attend the 45th Academy Award ceremony the following year, which was being televised live. Instead, he asked Native American activist and actress Sacheen Littlefeather (birth name Maria Cruz) to refuse it on his behalf. On stage were Liv Ullmann and Roger Moore, who was the new 'James Bond', ready to present the 'Oscar' statuette. Littlefeather did not accept the award; instead she left Roger Moore hanging on to it. In front of an estimated 85 million viewing audience, Littlefeather held up several sheets of paper on which was typed Brando's refusal speech, which she had been requested to read. This was never going to happen - the organisers said she could only have one minute.

...the reasons for this [refusal] being the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry and on television in movie re-runs, and also with recent happenings at Wounded Knee1. I hope I have not intruded and that our hearts and understandings will meet with love and generosity.

Littlefeather's condensed, respectful speech was met with jeers, boos and a smattering of applause. It was the very first political statement at the famous Oscars ceremony, and it unwittingly started a trend which continues today. When she had delivered her speech, Littlefeather had to be escorted away by two security men, for her own safety. There were people in the audience using the 'Tomahawk chop' gesture - demeaning to Native American people - as Littlefeather passed. A furious John Wayne (all 6'4" and 200-plus pounds of him) was being restrained backstage by six security men because he was threatening to drag Littlefeather offstage himself. John Wayne was one of the most popular actors of his time, but this interview, which appeared in a 1971 Playboy magazine, pulled no punches:

I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from the Indians. Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.

Littlefeather was boycotted by the film industry, bad-mouthed in the press with false claims that she was Brando's lover, and accused of not being a true Native American, but merely a wannabee actress promoting her own career. Littlefeather's birth name was Maria Cruz, her father's tribal name being Cruz. Her genetic make-up contains Apache, Yaqui and Pueblo blood from her father, and French, German and Dutch-descended courtesy of her mother. So Littlefeather was undoubtedly of Native American heritage and she was appointed the Executive Director of the Kateri Prayer Circle in San Francisco in 2010.

David Rubin, president2 of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, wrote to Littlefeather on 18 June, 2022, offering a profound apology for the way she was treated at the 1973 ceremony:

As you stood on the Oscars stage in 1973 to not accept the Oscar on behalf of Marlon Brando, in recognition of the misrepresentation and mistreatment of Native American people by the film industry, you made a powerful statement that continues to remind us of the necessity of respect and the importance of human dignity.
The abuse you endured because of this statement was unwarranted and unjustified. The emotional burden you have lived through and the cost to your own career in our industry are irreparable. For too long the courage you showed has been unacknowledged. For this, we offer both our deepest apologies and our sincere admiration.

After almost 50 years, it was better late than never. Littlefeather is quoted as saying she never thought she'd live to see the day she'd be hearing this apology (she was by then 75 years old). Littlefeather's speech caused a scandal at the time, but it was the beginning of a new era for political activism. In September 2022 the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures promoted an event in Los Angeles called 'An Evening with Sacheen Littlefeather'. Special guests included Riley Keogh (granddaughter of Elvis Presley), Virginia Carmelo, Earl and Bridget Neconie and rapper Taboo Nawasha of the Black Eyed Peas. Littlefeather spoke about the 1973 Academy Award ceremony that she participated in, and how happy she was that her mistreatment was acknowledged by the Academy's apology. There were also discussions about the future of indigenous representation on screen.

Now, I would like all the Indian people in this audience to stand. Look at our people, look at each other and be proud that we stand as survivors, all of us. Please, when I'm gone, always be reminded that wherever you stand for your truth, you will be keeping my voice and the voices of our nations and our people alive. I remain Sacheen Littlefeather. Thank you.

Sacheen Littlefeather, age 75 years, died from cancer on 2 October, 2022.

1A site of significant importance to the Sioux people.2From August 2019, re-elected in 2020 and 2021, until August 2022 when he was replaced by Janet Yang.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A88030037

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more