Join the Q: Raptorwatch 2

0 Conversations

Join the Q: Raptorwatch 2

Back in 2018 I went to a Raptorwatch event on the Wirral, when birds of prey of various kinds gathered because it was high tide on the River Dee. In February 2024 I received notification that the conditions were good for another Raptorwatch event to take place.

Unlike in 2018, when the weather was cold, damp and misty, this time the weather turned out bright and breezy. As a result, the high tide water came in further than it had at the previous event. The birds were also much more active as it was a warmer day - the sky was filled with the sound of thousands of pink-footed geese swooping around, plus lapwings, mallards and gulls. Numerous egrets were moving gracefully through the wet marsh terrain, and the enlarged ponds were filled with shoveler ducks, redshanks and moorhens.

Raptors were also well represented - more than one marsh harrier soared over the marsh, and a kestrel even flew directly over my head. Thus my second Raptorwatch was also successful - impressive to see so much water and so many active birds in the marsh! Here are a few of my favourite photos - a flock of pink footed geese coming into land, a flock of lapwings in the sky, a little egret in reeds surrounded by water, and a kestrel with wings and tail outstretched.

A flock of pink footed geeseA flock of lapwings
A little egret in reeds surrounded by waterA kestrel flying over a tree

Join the Q Archive

SashaQ

26.02.24 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88045356

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more