A Waste Water Treatment Plant Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

A Waste Water Treatment Plant

1 Conversation

Overview | Waste Water Composition | Waste Water Treatment
Biological Treatment of Waste Water | A Waste Water Treatment Plant

Waste water, as a result of its various components, needs to be treated to become fresh water again. This treatment is performed in a series of certain processes, the central steps of which make use of hungry micro-organisms. So what does a treatment plant look like?

Set-up of a Waste Water Treatment Plant

Everybody has probably seen a waste water treatment plant. They are usually composed of several basins, round or rectangular in shape, of sizes not less than some 100 square metres.

The Components

  • Rake with sand and grease trap - this is, of course, the waste water itself, and where it first runs into the treatment plant.

  • Primary clarification tank - this area is for the initial sedimentation and decanting of the waste water. Also, the first biological degradation processes may take place.

  • Sludge - this is very important for biological treatment. Firstly, it fixes micro-organisms in one place. Secondly, it degrades like compost when the biomass has died.

  • Service building - this is the place where treatment plant personnel contribute to the waste water1 and its treatment (documentation, process-monitoring, etc).

  • Secondary settling tank - in the final step of the waste water treatment the aim is to let all the sediments sink down so that clean water can be decanted from the top.

1By using the toilets.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A884379

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more