Discworld II- Missing Presumed...!?

3 Conversations

'Missing Presumed...!?' is the second Discworld computer game for both PC and Playstation (the first being 'Terry Pratchett's Discworld') based on author Terry Pratchett's
Discworld novels that was let loose upon the gaming community which presented enhanced graphics, visuals, plot and humour.

A BASIS

The game is set on the Discworld , about the inhabitants who live on the flat world resting on the backs of four giant elephants which stand upon the shell of the Great Star Turtle, A'Tuin.

This game sequel concentrates on Rincewind the Wizzard (he can't spell very well) who is a natural coward but adventure follows him like a rash.

A GENRE

The game is point-and-click where players must point and click onto objects to get their character to interact. This genre can be more restricting as a path of interacting with people/objects needs to be done in a particular order to progress but with this game having been based on a novel the genre is more apt as fans want to see a story unfurl with familiar Discworld characters, and their personalities being more predominnant.

Produced by Perfect Entertainment and Psygonis, 'Missing Presumed...!?' ('Mortality Bytes' in the USA) is another Discworld novel crossblend this time being 'Reaper Man' with essence of 'Moving Pictures' being most predominant references...
Rincewind was put into these plots as opposed to their relative books' characters as he is was the most adaptable for the series, namely because he is a less developed character (he's a coward and generally runs away from danger) whereas the books' main characters: Death/Susan Sto Helit and Victor Tugelbend have deep rooted feelings and opinions.

A PLOT

An assassin has planted a bomb in the donkey cart park under the Fools' Guild (he probably had a good reason). The Fools didn't know it, but at this point they really could have done with a really good bomb disposal expert passing by...
They get Rincewind. Accompanied by the Librarian (a smelly mon-- ape), Rincewind the Wizzard attempts to diffuse it (What? Rincewind? He was drunk, give him a break!).
Needless to say the coward blows it in more ways than one and the Guild goes sky high leaving a fried Rincewind and one crispy Mc. Ape... However the explosion has an unforseen effect in that Death was flying over the Guild on his horse, and when the explosion happens Death is sent flying due to a sudden rearing of Binky.
Around the same time at Unseen University, wizard Windle Poons has died, but continued to live (if that makes sense).
There's no Death and presumably no death leading to many an undead, so it's up to Rincewind [not really, he was forced] with his walking chest, The Luggage, to go and find the items needed to perform the Rite of AskhEnte to bring back the Reaper.

A CAST

Member of Monty Python, Eric Idle reprises his role as the voice of the bad spelling wizard and even writes a song for the game: 'That's Death'
Sadly, Tony Robinson isn't there to provide additional again but that is made up for by the much more believable Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, Nigel Planer, and joined once more by Kate Robbins and Rob Brydon.

A PUZZLE

The point-and-click elements are still there as are the mind-numbingly difficult puzzles (No, sorry, as Rincewind corrects himself in the game: "Lateral Thinking Puzzles")

The puzzles involve Rincewind interacts with various characters by being sarcastic, joking, asking a question or just pondering to himself.
Most puzzles in the game are quite ludicrous as the most logical solution may not be the right one such as a 1 ton iron ball not being strong enough to break a wall down until you place a '10' sticker over it making the ball heavier and thus more powerful!

There's new locations aside from an improved Ankh-Morpork such as XXXX, Djelibeybi and Holywood...

Plus a special "Apology to Python (Monty) Inc." for a familiar stoning sequence...

More Terry Pratchett humour in the talking even though he only "Throwing rocks from afar..."
Some sections can be so silly that they can be attributed to Idle's Python influence then Pratchett's tales but that just adds to what should be a more enjoyable experience...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A896925

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more