Level 42

3 Conversations

<GUIDE>
<BODY>
In 1980 Phil Gould (Drums /Vocals)and brother Boon Gould (Guitar Vocals) Mark King (Bassist Lead Vocals who are all from the Isle Of Wight formed Level 42 with Mike Lindup (Keyboards Percussion and Vocals) who is from London.

Level 42 are well known for their Brit Funk style of music which combines jazz with funk.

Mark is affectionately known as Thunder Thumbs because he plays Bass incredibly loud and fast. Mark uses a techneque called Thumb Slapping when he plays. Mark is known for his unique voice which always gets the audiences attention. He has a wonderful sense of humour too. Mark always has a quick chat to see if the audience are okay.

Phil's trade mark has been his vast collection of John Lennon style glasses and shades. He is also well known for his strong veiws on enviromental issues. He Wrote The Chant has begun to warn people about the dangers of abusing our world.

Example of Phil's lyrics from The chant has begun By Phil Gould (From the album True Colours) (1984)(Polydor)

Trees distroyed by acid rain falling from the sky. When our children place the blame who will tell them why?


Phil has a very powerful style of drumming. Mark and Phil have frequently been described as the best Drum and Bass section ever! This is because they worked very closely together.

Boon has always been the more quieter member of the band. He certainly is not quiet when he plays the guitar. He has a very aggressive style of playing. The best example of Boon's guitar skills is Lessons In Love. The begining is incredibly powerful.He also plays the most amazing solo in the middle of the song. Boon has written some fantastic songs. His style of writing is not so aggressive as Phil's style. Boon is best known for the beautiful ballad It's Over

Example of Boons lyrics from It's Over by Boon(R)Gould (From the album Running In The Family)(1987)(Polydor)

I won't be here when you come home I'm sorry if you don't understand forgive me if you can. I can see another road and I ain't comin' back.

It is one of the most emotional songs that Level 42 have ever recorded.

Mike has always had a unique style of playing keyboards he has a very destinctive voice too. He is a fantastic Jazz keyboardist. His solo album and single are totally diferent from Level 42. Mike prefers a slightly Latin American feel to music. This is strongly evident in Passion a track from his solo album Changes

Example of Mike's lyrics from Passion By Mike Lindup (From Changes)(1990)(Polydor)

There's a girl in my heart I will love 'till it breaks me. And the warmth that I feel for her is a miracle that cannot be explained.



The first single Love Meeting Love was a huge success. The follow up single Flying(On The Wings of Love) also sold very well.

In 1981 Love games was released from the Album Level 42 more singles from the album including Starchild

an example of the the lyrics from the album Level 42 (1981)(polydor)is from Starchild by Wally Badarou Phil Gould and Mark King

When I was an infant in my mothers'arms I would watch the starlight in her face. I was reaching out to understand the cosmic charms. i am just a starchild born in space.


In 1982 The chinese way was released from the album The Pursuit Of Accidents(polydor)

An example of lyrics from this album is from The Chinese Way By Mark King Phil Gould and Wally Badarou

Take a journey back in time leave the western world behind.Sacred knowledge sacred ways pearls of wisdom from the dragon days.


The first album originaly recorded in 1980 The Early Tapes was released before The Pursuit Of Accidents due to popular demand as the first album was not released in 1980 after the first two singles which entered the british top twenty charts. Dispite the delay with the release of The Persuit Of Accidents the album entered the british album charts.

In 1983 the album Standing In The Light(polydor)was released Micro Kid and Living it up (The sun goes down) burst into the british top ten.

An example of lyrics from this album is from living It Up(the sun goes down) by Wally Badarou Phil Gould Mark King and Mike Lindup

There's a girl at the back making eyes at me and her hair long and black is a sight to see. But I get kind of scared when love's a round I just live for the groove 'till the sun goes down.

By the time the album True Colours had been released in 1984 Level 42 had become hugely successful all over the world. The singles Hot Water and The Chant Has Begun entered the British top ten at lightening speed.

When Mark King released his solo album Influences it quickly became the best way to learn bass for many Bassists(myself included).

An Example of the material on Influences(Polydor)(1984) is The essential which Mark begins to play bass quite slowly and then he gradualy speeds up. Mark plays drums keyboards and percussion on this album as well as providing vocals.

In 1985 The album World Machine was released The single Something About You smashed into the uk top ten and entered various charts internationaly. Following Singles also sold out within minutes of reaching the shops and also entered the british top ten.

Example of lyrics from World Machine(Polydor) Something About you by Mike Lindup Phil Gould R(Boon)Gould

There is something about you baby so right. I could'nt live without you baby tonight.


The live album A Physical Presence was a chance for fans to hear Level 42 live. The tours had always sold out so quickly that many fans missed out on Level 42 live.

Example of Lyrics from A Physical Presence (1985)(Polydor)
Love Games(1981)(Level 42)(Polydor) By Mark King Phil Gould R(Boon)Gould and Mike Lindup

What's my chance to be your lover and your friend? It turned into a game I won't play no more.

In 1986 Level 42 began work on the album Running In The Family In 1987 the single Running In The Family was released.

Example of lyrics from Running In The Family (1987) (Polydor)
Running In The family By Mark King Wally Badarou and Phil Gould

Our Dad would send us to our room he'd be the voice of doom. He said that we would thank us later.

Sadly the line up that had lasted since 1980 was not to last Boon and Phil left due to the pressures of touring at the end of 1987.When Level 42 released Children Say at the end of the same year Mark and Mike appeared in the video without Boon and Phil.


In 1988 Gary Husband (Drums and Vocals) and Alan Murphy (Guitar and Vocals) joined Level 42.

Gary Husband who was born in Leeds in yorkshire has over 25 years of musical experience behind him. He has been in various bands including Allan Holdworth band and the Gary Husband Trio. He is well known as a jazz musician especially in europe. He is also a fan of Level 42.

Alan Murphy was in the band Go West as a Guitarist and Vocalist. Alan was known for his wonderful sense of humour and his love for music.

In 1988 Level 42 compleated their Staring At The Sun tour. They also released the singles Tracie Take A Look and Heaven In My Hands. All of these singles reached the british top twenty. The album Staring At The Sun was relesed in 1988 just before the tour with the same name began.

Example of lyrics from Staring At The Sun (1988)(Polydor)
Tracie By Mark King and Gary Husband

Steppin' out from underneath my shadow walking home from Monday's nine to five. Rememberin' the long way round the meadow the one we used to take from time to time.

Level 42 had compleated a few major tours by 1988. But sadly this line up was not to last as in 1989 Alan Murphy tragicaly died suddenly. Take care Of Yourself was released and the album Level Best(A greatest hits collection) was a huge success along with Take Care Of Yourself this was a wonderful tribute to Alan as this was the last single he recorded with Level 42.

In 1990 Mike Lindup released his solo album Changes the single The Spirit Is Free along with the album proved very successful.

In 1991 Level 42 returned with Jakko on Guitar. The album Guaranteed was released followed by the single of the same title.

Example of lyrics from Guarenteed (1991)(Polydor)

Guarenteed by Mike Lindup Wally Badarou Mark king and Gary Husband

Guarenteed a place inside my heart Icould never forget a single thing.
Always be a martyr to your heart then you'll never regret a single thing.


The singles My Father's Shoes and Overtime also proved very sucessful. These were followed by a major tour. I actualy saw Level 42 at the UEA in Norwich as part of the Guaranteed tour they were fantastic!

In 1992 Level 42 slimmed down to a duo as Gary Husband and Jakko left to work on other projects.
In 1992,1993 and 1994 Level 42 toured extensively. The album Forever Now was released in 1993.

The singles from the album Forever Now Love In A Peaceful World and All Over You were immensly successful. But at the end of 1994 Level 42 were no longer together as Mike and Mark wanted to work on other projects. Level 42 had been together almost 15 years. This also brought an end to the fan club which had been running since 1981

Example of lyrics from Forever Now (1993) Polydor

Forever Now by Mark King and Mike Lindup

I wanna live forever now holy cow. I wanna live forever now yeah!


In 1997 Mark released his solo album One Man he also released the single Bitter Moon.

In 2002 Level 42 reformed with Mark King (Bass Vocals) Nathan King (Mark's younger brother)(Guitar Vocals) Gary Husband (Drums Vocals) and Lyndon Connah (Keyboards Vocals) Sean Freeman (Saxophonist)I saw them as Part of the Greatest Hits Tour at the UEA in Norwich on November 12 2002.

Lydon Connah and Nathan King were in a group which Mark king formed in 2000 called Groupo Mark King along with a Saxophonist called Sean Freeman.

They are even better than they were in 1991. It seems odd the original line up are not together again but at least Level 42 are back again they have just relesed The Ultimate Collection album. This is another greatest hits collection but even better than Level Best which is very good.
</BODY>
</GUIDE>

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A900767

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more