Where to Buy a Greek Bouzouki

0 Conversations

Greek bouzoukis are available from on-line instrument stores such as Hobgoblin, Thomann, Musikalia or even Amazon, but for the best quality instruments you need to get them from Greece. There are a few hand-makers of Bouzoukis and there are a few companies that mass produce them.

The Bouzouki Shop

thebouzoukishop.com

Polydorou has two locations in Athens and goes under the name of 'The Bouzouki Shop'. Their main shop for selling the instruments is at 31 Pandrosou Street, Monastiraki (just to the east of the junction with Aiolou Street). This is the heart of the Athens Tourist Market, but the shop stocks professional instruments.

They also have a workshop in another part of Athens: 12 Logotheti Str. & Panagopoulou, Egaleo (5-minute walk from Egaleo Metro Station).

Tsakirian

tsakirianbouzouki.com

GoogleMaps Image of Shop Front

Aristotelous Street 5, Athens (Near Platia Vathis). West side of street, just south of junction with Kapodistriou.

Karolos Tsakirian comes from a family of bouzouki-makers. His grandfather Agop was an Armenian bouzouki maker in Smyrna (Izmir), Turkey. In 1922 he migrated to Piraeus, Greece, (along with a large number of other Christians who were expelled from Turkey). In Piraeus, he set up a new bouzouki-making business. Karolos's father Onnik moved the shop up the road to Athens in 1961. Onnik's bouzoukis were well-known, being played by such players as Manolis Chiotis. Karalos worked for many years in New York but returned to Athens in 1993 and took over the business, opening a bigger shop next door to the original. The shop is in a somewhat dilapidated part of Athens near Omonia Square. They make as well as sell instruments.

The website was down for much of 2018, but seems to be back working again as of Jan 2019.

Matsikas

www.matsikas.gr

This is one of the mass producers, possibly the only mass producer. Their bouzoukis also go by the name of Sakis (a diminutive of the company founder's first name). Based just outside the village of Mastro to the west of the city of Mesolonghi in Western Greece. These instruments are "hand-made" on machines in a factory. There are many different models - their website lists 23 different types of 6-string bouzouki alone, ranging from about €250 to €2,500.

Matsikas has a large shop in Athens: Kremou 40, Kallithea, which is between the Acropolis and Piraeus. Very close to the Taúros metro station (line M1).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A900938

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more