The Discworld Directory: GREAT A'TUIN

1 Conversation

The start of it all... The Great A'Tuin is the star turtle (Chelys galactica) that supports the four elephants that carry the disc.

Sex unknown, the turtle's shell is methane-frosted and encrusted with craters showing the places where asteroids have hit. It is the only animal that knows exactly where it is going as it swims through space eating stars.

First debuting in 'The Colour Of Magic', the turtle is the first character on the first page of the first book of the Discworld novels, and is also the first involved in a joke when Terry Pratchett explains the 'Big Bang' theory.

Merely a geographical object in the first book, A'Tuin becomes more important in 'The Light Fantastic', where it is heading directly toward a red star that could mean the world's destruction.


PROFILE:

-NAME: The Great A'Tuin (the star turtle)

-RESIDENCE: Space.

-FIRST APPEARANCE: The Colour Of Magic (1985) Book I

-AFFILIATES: Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon, Jerakeen (The Four Elephants)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A905366

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more