GuideML - GUESTBOOK Tag

4 Conversations

The <GUESTBOOK> tag allows you to insert a form into your articles that allows Researchers to post comments to Conversation Forums or Conversations that you specify in the tag.

It can be used to conduct a simple poll, or to create a friendly guest book on your Space, for example.

This tag does not form part of Approved GuideML.

Syntax and Usage

Optional attributes are shown in italics.

<GUESTBOOK FORUM="...forum number..."

SUBJECT="...subject..."

BUTTON="...button text..."

ROWS="...rows..."

COLS="...cols..."
>

...default text...

</GUESTBOOK>
<GUESTBOOK INREPLYTO="...posting number..."

SUBJECT="...subject..."

BUTTON="...button text..."

ROWS="...rows..."

COLS="...cols..."
>

...default text...

</GUESTBOOK>

Both these tags insert a subject field, a text area and a button into your article. The tags work as follows:

  • If the FORUM attribute is present, then when your visitors click on the button, a page is shown from which clicking on 'Post Message' will start a new Conversation in the Forum with number ...forum number... (explained below). The subject of the Conversation is taken from the subject field, and the initial Posting is set to the contents of the text area.

    You can find out the number of a Forum by visiting it and looking at the URL; the number for the Peer Review Forum, whose URL ends in F48874, is 48874. Similarly, the number of the Forum at the bottom of this page is 72732.

  • If the INREPLYTO attribute is present, then when your visitors click on the button, a page is shown from which clicking on 'Post Message' will start create new Posting in reply to the Posting with unique number ...posting number... (this is not the same number as the number shown as 'Posting n' in Conversations). The subject of the reply is taken from the subject field, and the reply is set to the contents of the text area.

    You can find out the number of a Posting by hovering your pointer over the 'Reply' button in that Posting, and looking at the URL, which will end in something like AddThread?inreplyto=1234567. The number after inreplyto= is the Posting's unique number.

  • If the SUBJECT attribute is present, then ...subject... will be inserted into the subject field.

  • If the BUTTON attribute is present, then ...button text... will be used as the text for the button, otherwise a default of 'Submit' is used.

  • If the ROWS attribute is present, then the text area will be ...rows... rows long, otherwise a default of 6 rows will be used.

  • If the COLS attribute is present, then the text area will be ...columns... columns wide, otherwise a default of 70 columns will be used.

Known Issues

None.

Example

Here's a form that demonstrates every attribute and posts a reply to the 'Example Conversation' Conversation in the Forum below:

Please type your message to the Example Conversation here... <GUESTBOOK INREPLYTO="1151634" SUBJECT="Example Reply" ROWS="3" COLS="40" BUTTON="Post to Example Conversation">Please type your message to the Example Conversation here...</GUESTBOOK>

Further Information


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A958548

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more