Prayer Wheels

0 Conversations

The Tibetan Prayer Wheel

what are they?
Tibetan prayer wheels, Dharma wheels or as the Tibetans call them Mani chho-kor are devices used in spiritual blessings and for well-being. To create a Mani a cylinder (usually metal) is used to contain strips of paper or wound sheets on which Mantra (prayers) Om Mani Padme Hum are written. The cylinder is then attached to a rod handle in order to be able to be held. The cylinder spins on its axle in order to be read by higher forces.

where can they be found?
Prayer wheels can be found where the elements can turn them, for example near water, steam or in the wind. Always spun clockwise so that the mantra would come across to a passer by in the way it's meant to be read, it follows the suns direction and matches the circumambulation of the stupas.

what do Buddhists believe?
The Buddhists believe that saying the mantra out loud will bring about Chenrezig's powerful blessings and attention (the embodiment of compassion). Who is Chenzerig?
and what is Buddhism?

History and Tradition
Said to date back to 400AD the prayer wheel was only used in Tibet for spiritual purposes. Today however, Mantra wheels can be found in many areas of Tibet and places which carry the Tibetan culture. It is said that the Tibetans even carry the wheels around for hours and even on pilgrimages now. With the culture spreading towards the west new Mani are being created.

ways of using the wheel
· Practitioners of Bon the pre-Buddhist spiritual tradition of Tibet, spin their Mani wheels counter clockwise, the same direction they use in circumambulation.

* The Mani wheel is said to have many benefits such as healing and purification.

by generous donation John-the-gardener has given me this mantra:

'Om Mani Padme Hum'

Alternatives
· The Dalai Lama believes that the computer can also work like a prayer wheel if it has a mantra on it, as the computers hard drive spins around many times and can contain many mantra.
· Viewing a written copy of the mantra is said to have the same effect and the mantra is carved into stones near paths where travellers will see them. Spinning the mantra around in a Mani wheel is also meant to have the same effect and the more copies of the mantra the better the effect.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2335097

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more