The Ohio State University

0 Conversations

Details

Established:1870
Location:Columbus, Ohio
Mascot:Brutus Buckeye
Students:Roughly 55,000 at main and branch campuses (split pretty close to 50/50 male/female), 48,000 at main campus
Employees:31,310
Acreage:13,480 (1,705 main campus)
Buildings:816 (409 at main campus)
Webpage:http://www.osu.edu

Interesting Info


Until late in the 1990s OSU was the largest university in the U.S.A. in both enrollment and area.



The Oval is the heart of campus and is surrounded by the oldest most stately buildings on campus.



Many greats in athletics came out of OSU (football coaching legend Woody Hayes, the only two-time Heisman trophy winner Archie Griffen, too many current NFL stars to name, basketball player John Havlicek, track star Jesse Owens, and golfer Jack Nicklaus, and the list goes on).



In June 2000 OSU granted its 500,000th degree.



Home of the largest all-brass marching band in the world

Tips from a graduate


If you get a chance to go to a football game, make sure you arrive early before the game to take in the legendary tailgating that takes place - especially if this game is one of the 'big' ones (Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and especiallyMichigan)




Visit The Oval if you get a chance. This is typically where students relax, socialize, excercise, and maybe even study.




Bring your walking shoes, OSU's campus is mainly a pedestrian campus except for the university vehicles and the few faculty that get to park very near their buildings.




You thought you saw a lot of construction coming to campus? Wait 'till you get here!



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A425666

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more