The h2g2 Post 05.10.06

0 Conversations


Posted: 5th October 2006


 

 


Time Marches Ever Onward...

Welcome, welcome all to another edition of The Post, as autumn begins to set in all over the world (except in the southern half of it, of course, where spring begins to set in). It's even beginning to get a bit chilly in sunny California, where it's become necessary to don a light jacket of a morning.

In my opinion, certainly the most exciting thing to happen this week is my second hootooversary, which occurred last Friday. I shan't bore you with lengthy reminiscences in this delightful publication like I did last year, but suffice to say that it's certainly been an interesting two years. In that time I've completely changed how I see myself — and, of course, h2g2. It went from a passing interest to an obsession to a profession, as I routinely pass off subbing and Posting as an actual editing job in the real world. Hey, don't we all?

It's come to my attention that an interesting figure died this past week. Singaporean Elizabeth Choy was a Japanese prisoner of war during World War II. She was imprisoned for giving aid to the British POWs, though she was eventually awarded the Order of the British Empire for her heroism. She served as Singapore's first female legislator and spent 40 years in her much-loved profession of teaching. More about the backdrop for Mrs Choy's actions can be found in this week's chapter of 'An Idyll Too Far'.

It should not be forgotten, though, that Mrs Choy is by no means the only person to have died this week. In fact, it should never be forgotten that there are people, nameless to us, who die every day. Last weekend I saw the documentary The US vs John Lennon, which only served to remind me that the world is a very strange, often messed-up place and that, whatever our respective political views may be, the one thing none of us should be is apathetic. It behooves us all to take a stand for what we believe in, whether we're leading a great movement for change or just casting our vote in a local election.

So anyway, where were we? Getting lost in high-minded ideals, I suppose... Enjoy this week's edition of The Post.

With The Post now appearing only fortnightly, our annual observations of Hallowe'en will fall rather earlier than normal - in the next edition on October 19th. If you have any stories, poems or cartoons about this time of year or, indeed, All Saints Day which follows it on November 1st, then please do send them using the submission link at the foot of this page.

We are always happy to receive items of interest not only from personal experiences but also any regarding to this wonderful community of h2g2. We regularly feature reports from Meets around the world but are also keen to find out about your own little clubs and communities within h2g2 - why not publicise them more by writing about them for us? We are also a little short on cartoons at this time so come on all you budding artists - send us your ideas and, if they are good enough, we'll be pleased to introduce them to a wider audience! Email us for criteria if you are interested.


echomikeromeo

and
ShazzPRME


 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A11040166

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more