The Worlds Biggest Machines: Part Three - Cargo Ship

0 Conversations

The shield of the Science, Mathematics and Engineering faculty of the h2g2 University.

The Worlds Biggest Machines

Introduction | Biggest Engine | Biggest Aeroplane | Biggest Cargo Ship |
| Biggest Truck | Biggest Mobile Crane |
| Tunnel Boring Machine | Rolling Mill | Part Eight |
| Part Nine | Part Ten |

When it took its maiden voyage on 10 April, 1912, the Titanic was the largest ship afloat weighing in at 46,328 tons. How times have changed. Todays' modern vessels are significantly bigger and weigh considerably more. The kings of the sea are ultra large crude carriers (ULCC) that transport crude oil across the globe to industrial consumer nations. At a healthy 564,763 tons, this particular vessel is both the biggest ship and the largest man-made moving object in the world. It has, however, led a fairly difficult life.

Hull 1016

Hull 1016 was built at Sumitomo Heavy Industries Oppama shipyard in Japan. Construction work began in 1973 for a Greek shipping magnate. Originally, Hull 1016 was designed at a dead weight tonnage (DWT) of 480,000 and was first floated in 1975. When the ship was nearing completion in 1979 the Greek owner was declared bankrupt. It is believed that his failure was brought about by the oil embargo that began in 1973. Unpaid, Sumitomo offered the vessel to prospective clients.

Seawise Giant

She was eventually sold to Tung Chao Yung, another shipping magnate, based in Hong Kong. Under an agreement with the shipyard, Tung had Hull 1016 delivered to Nippon Kokan in Japan and lengthened so that the DWT could be increased to 564,763. He too ran into financial difficulties brought about by the cost of lengthening the vessel and came close to bankruptcy. An influential business man, he managed to gain assistance from the mainland Chinese government. The vessel was finally put to sea in 1981 named Seawise Giant. It is believed the name resulted from the abbreviations used by the owner in signing his own name - C Y Tung. Tung died on 15 April, 1982, aged 71.

Happy Giant

Her first duties had her navigating between the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, but by early 1986 her role had changed and she was being utilised as a floating storage terminal in Iran during the Iran-Iraq war. In May 1988 the vessel, almost a sitting duck in the Strait of Hormuz, was attacked by Iraqi jets that fired Exocet missiles into her hull. She partially sank in the shallow waters and lay there half submerged until the end of the war. In 1989, a Norwegian partnership called KS Company and managed by Norman International purchased the ship for $35 million. KS Company had the stricken vessel salvaged and towed to the Keppel shipyard in Singapore where it under went major repair. 3,700 tons of damaged steel were replaced and she was renamed Happy Giant.

Jahre Viking

In 1991, before repairs were complete, the company was restructured and became managed by Jørgen Jahre, another Norwegian operation. She was delivered from the shipyard in 1991 as the Jahre Viking and resumed her duties as a crude carrier. During the late 1990s the majority of KS Company was purchased by another Norwegian, Fred Olsen, through his company Fred Olsen Tankers.

Knock Nevis

In late 2004 Fred Olsen Productions, the registered owners of the vessel, had her make the voyage to Dubai Dry-docks. There she was properly refitted to act as a permanent floating storage and offloading facility, mirroring the role she had temporarily undertaken in the Iran-Iraq war. Sadly, she is now permanently moored in the Gulf of Arabia in the Qatar Al Shaheen oil field. Following the refit she was renamed Knock Nevis - perhaps the least inspiring and most understated replacement of her former names.

Vital Statistics

The vessel is so vast that interesting comparisons are often made. If the Eiffel Tower were to be laid on its side, it could be comfortably carried onboard the ship. If the ship was stood on end it would still be 50 feet taller than the Empire State building, including the lightning rod. The holds could consume St. Paul's Cathedral four times over yet, surprisingly, the entire vessel can be operated by a crew of 40 meaning it has only two life boats on board.

  • Length: 458.45m
  • Width: 68.86m
  • Draft: 24.61m
  • DWT (Dead Weight Tonnage): 564,763
  • Maximum Speed: 15.8 (29km/h) Knots
  • Engines: Steam Turbine - 2 Stage Reduction into Single Shaft.
  • Engine Output: 36,778kW (50,000hp)
  • Propeller: 5 Blade 10m Diameter
  • Stopping Distance: 5.5mls
  • Turning Circle: 2mls
  • Crude Storage Capacity: 4,100,000 Barrels
  • Storage Tanks: 12 Centre, 30 Wing.
  • Off-Load Pumps: 4 (22,000 T/h Total).
  • Crew: 40

Closest Competitors

RMS Queen Mary 2 heads up the competitor stakes at 345m. Following her, in descending order of size, are USS Enterprise at 336m, USS Ronald Reagan Nimitz class at 333m and OOCL Shenzhen at 323m.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A11969562

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more