The Worlds Biggest Machines: Introduction

0 Conversations

UNIVERSITY PROJECT UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The shield of the Science, Mathematics and Engineering faculty of the h2g2 University.

The Worlds Biggest Machines

Introduction | Biggest Engine | Biggest Aeroplane | Biggest Cargo Ship |
| Biggest Truck | Biggest Mobile Crane |
| Tunnel Boring Machine | Rolling Mill | Part Eight |
| Part Nine | Part Ten |

A tool is but the extension of a man's hand, and a machine is but a complex tool. He that invents a machine augments the power of man and the well-being of mankind.
-Henry Ward Beecher

Man has long built machines. Ever since the invention of the wheel, technology has progressed continually, providing more efficient tools to complete repetitive and arduous tasks. In a consumer-led modern world, production demands have reached un-precedented levels and have brought about the need for bigger and better machines.

The Upward Spiral

The growth trend continues ever upward. Higher production volumes bring about their own set of increased demands - the more end-products that are produced, the more raw material is required. The raw materials and the finished goods require larger, more cost-effective transportation. The transportation requires bigger, more fuel-efficient engines. And so the pattern continues.

The Machines

At the time of writing1 all of these machines are considered the biggest of their kind in the world. Progress does not stand still or rest on its laurels, however, so it is likely that some of the featured machines will be superceded by even bigger versions at some point in the future. This University Project attempts to illustrate the technology available at the early stages of the 21st Century.

  • Part One: The power of RTA-flex96-C is unleashed.
  • Part Two: The Antonov 225 'Myria' is investigated.
  • Part Three: The chequered life of 'Knock Nevis' is explored.
  • Part Four: An insight into the amazing Liebherr T 282 B.
  • Part five: You are invited to get 'up close and personal' with Momo.
  • Part Six: The secret underground world of TBM's is exposed.
  • Part Seven:
  • Part Eight:
  • Part Nine:
  • Part Ten:

Whether you choose to read them all or simply take a glimpse at one or two, enjoy the discovery and the delights of the worlds biggest machines.

1May 2006

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A12087542

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more