The Virtual Reinhard

0 Conversations

A taste of paradise

A Letter from Tonga Part One

Nuku'alofa International Airport

It is relatively easy to fly into the International Airport at Nuku'alofa on the southern Tongan island of Tongatapu. However, since the country of Tonga comprises some 171 islands spread out over 700,000 square kilometres of the Pacific, the chances are that when you arrive, your onward journey will probably be a bit more than a short taxi ride.

In our case, we wanted to get to one of the northern islands, Vava'u, and I had been delighted to discover that Royal Tongan Airlines flies an old DC3 Dakota on that route. For reasons that remain obscure, but which are possibly the result of too many childhood 'Biggles' books, I have always wanted to fly in one of these, so we'd arranged tickets.

The DC3 was, in fact, standing at the airport but we were led over to another bakerlite-era twin-prop of uncertain vintage. The pilot said that, of the three duplicate flight systems aboard the DC3, usually only the backup and emergency were working, and since the backup had now given up the ghost, he was refusing to fly her.

The dakota waits forlorny for repairs

Mala Island

We were picked up by Dave the taxi driver, a smiling Tongan with interesting teeth, who decanted us into a small boat which put-putted us across to Mala Island, our home for the next few days. The boat was piloted by the smiling and eminently capable figure of Henry, who turned out to be General Manager, bartender extraordinaire, and Mr Fixit for the somewhat curious world that we were about to enter.

The owner, also called Dave, a rather manic expat Californian, had recently refurbished the small island with the intention of making it a haven and recording studio for visiting rock stars. Be that as it may, he had an enormous stock of name-dropping stories and, apparently, a record label; he was also proud of the consternation that he had caused in the local area by employing a Tongan as manager, and paying both him and the rest of the staff a fair wage. Dave gave the impression of being something of a one-man tornado in local Vava'u politics, making himself popular by inviting Tongans to enjoy the facilities but, on the other hand, the Tongans he mentioned tended to be well placed in the royal family and the police force. As we were to discover, scratching backs is a way of life here.

The deal on the island is that you pay 45 Tongan dollars a day and then eat whatever you want. On the one hand, this limits you to whatever happens to be in the kitchen; on the other, the food is prepared by Todd, an excellent chef who Dave apparently pinched from some US restaurant.

On arrival, though, we were too exhausted to think, let alone deal with crazy Americans, so we stumbled up the jungle path to our little cabin and into bed, scarcely even noticing then that it was beautifully decorated with traditional Tongan woven leaves and hand-painted papyrus.

When we emerged, we had lunch, and then dozed off again. Eventually I got up and strolled around the perimeter of the island, an exercise that took less than an hour and involved stepping over a lot of coconuts.

That evening, in the central bar area, the beers began to flow, poured by the incomparable Henry. He told us the story about how, at age 12, he had left school because he wanted to be a taxi driver. He cleaned and washed and gardened at his uncle's house until his uncle taught him to drive. That same uncle then spoke to the chief of police and got special permission for Henry to have a taxi licence, even though he was far too young. Many years later, having learnt English and how to deal with tourists, he picked up Dave from the airport, ran a few errands for him, and then got offered the job of General Manager. That, we gathered, was Tonga in a nutshell.

A coconut seedling

The Virtual Reinhard Archive

Pseudemys

07.12.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page

Post Birthday Graphic by Tonsil Revenge

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A17953815

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more