The h2g2 Post 28.02.08

1 Conversation


Posted: 28th February 2008


 

 


So this is it.

It's been two years and three months since my first editorial as Editor of The Post. And reader, this is my last.

I've been planning this, my last address to the masses, for at least two weeks. When it comes down to it, I'm not entirely sure what to say, other than just sounding melodramatic. But I'm proud of what I've done. I think I might have witnessed more editorial changes than most Post staff members — from the time Awix helped me learn how to edit the Regulars on the job, through months of solo Posting, to this very day, characterised by a full-fledged editorial team, the most active group of volunteers we've had in years. I'd like to think I had a hand in getting us from 2005 to 2008.

Repeating those dates reminds me of what's gone on in the real world in two years and three months. When I began editing The Post, I was fifteen, in my second year of secondary school. I was reasonably naîve, I was young, and most all I knew about the world was how to avoid a comma splice. I loved copy-editing, I loved journalistic editing, and I still do. But I am eighteen years old now. I have travelled from San Francisco to Moscow, I have studied two foreign languages and higher-level mathematics, I write my own work with correctly-used commas, and in just about six months I will be leaving my home and starting a new life at university. I've already discovered that there's more to life than commas, but six months from now I hope to realise that even the entire catalogue of punctuation and grammar is not sufficient to sum up human experience. Teenagers have short attention spans: after doing the same job for two years and three months, it's time to move on.

I can't walk out the door without a few acknowledgements: to Reefgirl and Awix, who gave me my first Post editing job; to the Post's guru and patron saint, Shazz, who taught me the ropes and has come to my rescue time and again; to Skankyrich, who in recent months particularly has been a rock of unwavering editorial strength, and to all the other Post staff members who have served under my tenure, such as Terran, lil, B'Elana, the faithful Titania and I hope I haven't left anyone else out: this editorial would not be possible without you. (And, as we say in the States, our viewers like you. Thank you!1)

So I'd just like to say good luck to my successor, Rich, and his faithful team. And with that, I will ride off into the sunset. So long, and thanks for all the fish!


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 

  • Warp

  • Fascinating fiction by Xarin Sliron


 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page

1That's a slogan from American public television, when the programme thanks its sponsors and then 'viewers like you'. Bad joke. Never mind.2Skankyrich wrote this bit.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A29618418

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more