My Visit To Brownsea Island

0 Conversations

Procrastination


On Sunday 20 July, 2008, I set off with my boyfriend to Poole, where we took a boat to Brownsea Island. As the water surrounding the boat gently lapped hitting the boats upon the water, the sun beat down and a cool breeze blew. The weather conditions were perfect and it was even possible to see the Needles far off in the distance as well as Studland, Old Harry Rocks and the Purbeck Hills. Many of the boats were anchored down but as there was a race happening nearby we also got to see many of the competitors of that race in their boats including my boyfriend's father. As we approached the large island, which seemed so calm except for the waters lapping against its shores and the great mass of foliage swayed gently in the breeze, we were given a running commentary of the island and its occupants. This included a tale about a woman, who refused anybody to trespass on the island that bore a shotgun.


Then all too soon it was time to step off the boat and go ashore. Today the Island is owned by the National Trust and the castle on the island is on loan to a supermarket chain. There are also numerous animals on the island including peacocks, chickens, ducks and Canadian geese and 250 red squirrels, but we only saw one during our time on the island. Walking around the island it soon became clear that there was another group that held a presence there too, the Scouts. In fact the first Scout Camp held by Major-General Robert Baden-Powell took place on this island and today scouts from around the world visit the island. Although, I was able to reminisce about the times I have been camping, I have never actually been a Brownie. I once obtained a Blue Peter badge and have several wonderful H2G2 badges, but there is a wide variety of different badges to vie for if you are Scouting or Guiding.


Then before long it was time to have a quick bite to eat at the café on the island, before catching the boat back to Poole. The café's garden overlooks the sea and it was nice to sit outside with the sun casting its warm glow over us while eating scones covered with jam and cream. The boat that was to take us back circled the Island and was supposed to give a running commentary at the same time before we returned, but alas the technological equipment aboard the boat failed and we circled the Island in quiet and still thinking about the day's event.

General Travel and Place Articles Archive

Opticalillusion

31.07.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A38896447

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more