Escape Pod Dreams

0 Conversations

Escape Pod Dreams, the Silent Cinema Issue

The New New blob

You don't have to be quiet while watching a silent movie and you don't have to be deafened by THX

What do Jackie Chan, Alfred Hitchcock, Jacues Tati, Clint Eastwood and Mel Brooks all have in common? Silent movies. Jackie studied hundreds of slapstick films of the silent era starring Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Fatty Arbuckle and the Keystone Kops while learning how to develop his unique combination of martial arts and comedy. Alfred Hitchcock started out as a title card designer in silent films. Clint Eastwood's famous Sergio Leone films were shot without live sound. Every noise and voice was added in post production. Jacques Tati was a master of silence, even when surrounded by noise and glass and steel. Mel Brooks made a movie with Marty Feldman and Dom Deluise called 'Silent Movie'. Let's see him make a musical out of that. The only spoken word in the entire film comes from Marcel Marceau. They wanted Harpo Marx, but he was detained in the graveyard.

The New New blob

More reasons why a truly good movie doesn't require an enormous amount of NOIZE!:

1. 8:57 AM
Only a century ago
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

2. 9:57 AM
Silent Movies weren't really silent
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

3. 10:57 AM
In these days of multi-million dollar
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
International appeal
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The New New blob

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

TonsilRevenge

06.08.09 Front Page

05.02.09 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A46607042

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more