Dinosaurs Of The Isle Of Wight: Pterosaurs

0 Conversations

Pterosaurs, or flying reptiles, have been found on the Isle of Wight, both on the south-west coast, and at Yaverland, near Sandown. Pterosaurs are only rarely found in good condition, yet they probably were common throughout the Late Jurassic and Early Cretaceous, and so ruled the skies for 155 million years. Pterosaurs grew to gigantic sizes, Quetzalcoatlus, for example, had an 11 metre wingspan.

Several pterosaur teeth and indeterminate bones have been found on the Island, including ones from giant pterosaurs. Sadly, too few complete remains exist for thorough study. The partial skeletons of pterosaurs that have been discovered so far belong to smaller pterosaurs, with wingspans of around 5 metres.

Istiodactylus latidens

Meaning "Sail-finger wide-tooth", this was a large pteradactyloid pterosaur with a 5 metre wingspan. First found in Atherfield by Reverend Fox, it was originally named "Ornithodesmus latidens", meaning "bird-link wide-tooth", and was for a long time confused with Ornithodesmus cluniculus. The remains found are the most complete remains of Cretaceous pterosaurs yet found in England, with a skull shape unlike any other pterosaur yet found, as well as unusual interlocking teeth that have razor-edges.

This has caused many to believe that its diet did not purely consist of fish like most pterosaurs, but instead could have been a scavenging carrion-eater, able to tear off chunks of meat from carcasses, and even small prey.

Ornithocheirus nobilis

The sole remains "Noble bird-hand" was found by Mantell and bought by the Natural History Museum in 1853. This was a possible second wing finger's phalanx, but more cannot be said.

Ornithocheirus sagittirostris

"Arrow-snouted bird-hand" is a pterosaur with an unusually wide jaw when compared to it's body length, first found at St. Leonards-on-Sea, Sussex. An Ornithocheirus sagittirostris jaw has also been found on the Isle of Wight.

Dinosaurs Of The Isle Of Wight


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A649884

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more