A Lizard Tale

0 Conversations

The seething lizard flicked its vile tongue like a drunk coworker with a party favor at last year's New Year's Eve party. Russ tripped lightly along the wind-formed crevices of the angry desert cliff. Man vs Nature. Russ vs the reptile. Suddenly he felt like the hero in an unpublished Hemingway novel. But that feeling quickly passed. Once again his inexplicable fear of animals that can be made into wallets swarmed his entire being. Panicking, Russ began to pat himself down in search of any utensil which could obliterate his amphibious antagonist. A plethora of objects fretfully began to collect on the sandy surface: bubble pipe, Star Wars trading card, pack of unopened harp strings... 'Haymakers!' grumbled Russ, 'Someone’s switched pockets on me again!'

The lizard remained frozen like a Little Leaguer watching his first game situation flyball hurtling towards him in right field. Undaunted, Russ's Gestapo-style search of himself continued: souvenir toenail clippers from the Lawnchair Museum, a tire iron... 'That might help', Russ assaugingly concluded. 'Wait, I can't do this', he reasoned out loud, just as he was about to level a lethal blow to the creature's cranium. 'If this act were somehow discovered, the Humane Society, ASPCA, ACLU and Triple-A Auto Club would unite forces and sue my flanks back to bankruptcy!' Finally, in a frugal fit of earnest exasperation, Russ bent down, gave his best Mike Singletary stare into the leathery lizard's leering eyes and said, 'Go away, you nasty little bugger, you're givin' me the creeps.' Unfortunately, Russ slept through most of his ticker-tape parade the next day.

The Fiction Archive

Thirtytwo

10.11.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A6766725

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more