David Dickinson - TV Star

1 Conversation

BBC televisions' 'Bargain Hunt' is a programme which evolved from 'The Great Antiques Hunt'. The contestants1 are given £200 and an antiques expert - whose advice is largely ignored - and are let loose for one hour at an antiques fair. Here they hope to pick up a bargain, which is then sold on, one week later, at an auction. The contestants hope
to make a profit, but what they really hope for is the chance to
meet the host with the most, David Dickinson, antiques dealer
and all round charmer.

David is fast becoming a household name and is very popular with many people; from students to pensioners, and everyone in between.
David was adopted as a child, and his background includes a French/ Armenian parentage - which would explain his exotic, dark good-looks. David spent an apprentiship at an aircraft factory when he was 14.
David is married to Lorne, has two grown up children and is also a grand-father, (though I find this incredibly hard to believe!).

David has been an antiques dealer for over 30 years. He says it began when he worked as agent to his wife, who was a cabaret singer, and David would spend time visiting antique shops - eventually opening his own shop with an old school friend, Chris Haworth, in Disley. They then sold this shop in 1980, opened another in Wilmslow and worked together until the partnership was dissolved three years later when a silent partner was brought in. This business ran until 1991; the partnership was dissolved, and David began concentrating on antique fairs.

He has only recently started working on television, which is a pity as he is a great all-round entertainer, including impersonating Stan Boardman and Tommy Cooper.

David also presented a show on Channel 5 about antiques a few years ago, called 'The Antique Hunter', and later 'The Antique Buyers Guide', and was first seen in a documentary on antiques.

David's best known catchphrase is 'cheap as chips', but he has many more in his repetoire, which include some of his most frequently used pieces of advice like 'always look for quality pieces' and 'look for perfection, especially in porcelain'.

David is also famed for his gorgeous wardrobe2 which includes not only striking pin-stripes in the traditional white-on-black, but also a negative version, beautiful continental tailoring in his Light weight suits, a selection of dazzling ties with matching handkerchiefs, stylish reading glasses ( particularly the rainbow coloured ones!) and, of course, smashing footwear, from Grey slip- ons to the Black and White 'correspondants shoes'. This effect is all set off against that fantastic tan, those dark gorgeous eyes, great eyebrows and a cracking smile!

We have seen David on his own stamping ground 'Bargain Hunt', but he has also been seen on 'Through the Keyhole' , Gloria Hunniford's 'Open House', 'Tonight With Johnny Vaughn', 'On the Couch with Ruby Wax', 'Holiday' and 'Night of a Thousand Faces'.

What next for David Dickinson?

As we are near the beginning of David's career, I think it is time that the public were given the chance to show their support
for this dazzling star, and I predict that there will be an explosion of merchandise on the horizon - so while I'm here I'd
like to put in my request - how about a calendar? We could have David photographed in the various Stately Homes he has visited - I mean, if we can have a calendar for Charlie Dimmock, then why not? Any other suggestions would be welcome - as I plan to ask the good old Beeb!

And dont forget;
'Don't miss it for a bid!'


Join the The H2G2 David Dickinson 'Club'


Primord


21.03.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Two teams of two people.2His clothes - not a piece of furniture.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A714304

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more