The Quest

1 Conversation

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This story is a work of fiction. Characters are intended to be amusing caricatures of their h2g2 counterparts, and the author means no offense in the use of researchers' names and characters. I don't even portray sea accurately. In short, please do not be offended. Your inclusion in the story simply means that I like you, so be flattered!

CHAPTER NINE

Zeb's cell phone, alas, was but an average cell phone. It did not explode, it did not make spaghetti, and it did not improve Zeb's sex life. However, it DID allow him to call his mother, who proceeded to lecture him about his life choices in a shrewish manner.

sea pulled up to the valet parking attendant and opened the door of the cab. The valet looked at her curiously - he had never valet parked a taxi before - so sea winked at him, handed him the keys, and headed into the hotel with the others.

'Well,'
said Gw7en, laughing.

'That was interesting. I wonder what other surprises are in store for us.'

Everyone was up and ready to begin at the crack of noon the next morning; far earlier than sea had expected. They loaded the rental truck full of their gear and Gw7en, Marv and Affy set off to start their investigation of the Innsbruck field. sea and Yo stayed behind; they still had a few last errands to run before they could join the others.

'Are you ready?'
Yo asked, handing sea her coat. She nodded.

'Nervous?'

'Maybe a little. More excited than anything else, though.'
she replied.

'I know what you mean. I can't believe we're meeting him. I mean, wow.'

sea nodded again, then took a deep breath and stepped out the door.

'Well, here it is. A Douglas Adams fan's Holy Land,'
Marv was unimpressed.

'Somehow I expected it to be more... I don't know, more interesting.'

'Well, Marv, it IS just a field,'
Gw7en teased.

'Quiet, you. You know what I mean.'
Marv grinned at her.

'I think it's great,'
said Affy.

'Just stand still and feel the magic in this field. It's crazy. There's something about this place... I wonder what it is...

'I agree. It's so...'
Gw7en shook her head.

'Well, let's get started. We haven't got much time to set up camp and get started.'

sea looked down at the piece of paper in her hand, then back at the number on the house before her. It certainly didn't look like she would have expected, but then again, what could one expect of the number one fan of Douglas Adams?

'I guess this is it,'
sea said to Yo. They walked up the stairs to the dilapidated old shack and knocked on the door.

'Who's there?!'
came a female voice from inside.

sea and Yo exchanged glances.

'Ma'am?'
sea called through the door.

'My name is soeasilyamused Black. I called you this morning, about speaking to the universe's biggest Douglas Adams fan?'

There was a pause.

'Yes, I remember. Hold on, I'm coming.'

sea and Yo stepped back a bit as the woman's footsteps approached the door. When it opened, sea and Yo looked completely shocked to see...

Yes, yes, I know, that was evil. Thanks for noticing.


The Quest Collection


sea


11.04.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A726897

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more