Rockdale County, Georgia, USA

0 Conversations


Rockdale County is a suburban Georiga county east of Atlanta. It is one of the smallest of Georgia's 159 counties. The only city in the county is Conyers.


History


In 1821, the area was ceded to the state from the Creek Indians, and the area that was to become Rockdale County was originally just part of Henry County. In 1870, the state legislature created Rockdale County with its present borders.


Rockdale County was originally populated by Cherokee and Creek Indians. The border between the two nations passed through the northern portion of the county. It was called Great Indian Road. It is now known as Hightower Trail.


Originally, the State of Georgia, claimed territoty to the Mississippi River. In 1816, the state opened up the lands in this area to white settlement. The Great Indian Road was used by settlers to move into the area. The first white settlements in Rockdale County were in the north end of the county. One of them was Costley's Mill on Big Haynes Creek near the Great Indian Road. The south end of county was settled by Scots and Scotch-Irish who moved up the streams and creeks from what is now Henry County.


A blacksmith named John Holcombe was was the first person to settle in what would later be Conyers. He built his home where the Main Street Courthouse now sits.


Holcombe later sold his land to Dr. Conyers of Covington, Georgia. Dr. Conyers granted a right of way to the railroad, and in 1845 the train ran through the area in between Atlanta1 and Augusta. The area grew, and in 1854 Conyers was incorporated as a town.


What does Rockdale County Have to Offer?


Rockdale County is an established suburban area and the city of Conyers has plentiful retail and restaurants. Its well manacured suburbs and easy access to Atlanta along I-20 make it an excellent place to settle. Unfortunatly, this is refelcted in the housing prices.

City of ConyersRockdale County Government
1Which was called Marthasville at that time.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A799239

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more