Butts County, Georgia, USA

0 Conversations


Butts County is a small rural county south of Atlanta, Georgia along I-75.


Butts County has numerous oppertunities for recreation. There are two state parks, Indian Springs State Park, High Falls State Park, and Dauset Trails Nature Center. There is also Jackson Lake, a large recreational lake, created by the Lloyd Shoals Dam.


History


Butts County was formed in 1825 from portions of Henry and Monroe Counties. When the county was created, there were already people in the county and small communities. The county was named afters Captain Samuel Butts, who died fighting the Creek Indians in 1814 during the War of 1812. The couty seat was named Jackson after President Andrew Jackson. He led campagins against the Creek and he was famous for his battle against the British in New Orleans.


After the founding, mills and ferries popped up in the 1820s. Ther was one on the Towaliga where High Falls State Park is now. The larsgest mill was Planter's Manufacturing Company on the Ocmulgee at Seven Islands. It was destroyed during Sherman's March to the Sea.


The sulfer springs that are now at Indian Springs State Park were also a regional attraction. Used by the indians for centuries, Georgians also believed in the healing powers of the Springs1. Many people came to viits it in the 1800s, and a railline from the city of Flovilla was established in 1882.


In 1910, the Lloyd Shoals Dam was built on the Ocmulgee River, and it supplied cheap power throught middle Gerogia. This also formed Lake Jackson, a large lake that is used extensivly for recreation.


From 1900 to 1920, farming declined in the county, and since World War II, the county has largely become a sparsly populated bedroom community.

1People still come to collect the spring's rotten smelling water.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A799293

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more