The h2g2 Post 05.12.11

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 5th December 2011

A Birthday, Holidays, and General Fooferah



'Another year has come and gone, and HooToo is still here…' as the poets say. (At least, a lot of h2g2 Poems have run like that, over the years.) We're proud to present the 12th birthday edition of the h2g2 Post. It's been a wild ride, so far, and there's plenty of space/time left.

And now for a word from one of the founders of the Post…

12 years is a long time. I was 25 and h2g2 was even younger. But it already had a burgeoning community and one of those had an idea. His idea was that the community should have a newspaper, a way of letting everyone know what the community was doing. Vegiman was the man with the idea and he found two reprobates to help him, Shazz and me. It took a fair bit of wrangling to get going, but we did it. We persuaded the staff at the Towers to let us have our community newspaper. Once they realised we were serious, it didn’t really take much persuading. They were very keen on the idea and did what they could to help.

But that was 12 years ago and a lot has happened since then, the Post has gone through several hard-working editors and a lot more contributors.

h2g2 is now entering a new phase in its history, and I hope that whoever is the Editor in another 12 years allows me to write another quick note toasting the Post's continued existence. Until then though, cheers! –   Pastey

Thank you, Pastey. Some of those pioneering folk Pastey mentioned are having their praises sung in this issue (check links below). There are lots of things to pique your interest in what follows – be sure to subscribe to the Advent Calendar, so you'll know what everybody's on about.

Celebrate with us!

PS Stop-Press Annoyance Number 42: Just in time for the Post's 12th birthday, Google in its infinite wisdom decided to fix it so that we couldn't get into our gmail account. The new, improved, Post gmail account link is below, under 'Email the Post Team'. Just to be sure: Contributors, in future, email us at postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com. Thank you.


Dmitri Gheorgheni

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US...

(Sing in Chorus)

 

 
IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE HANUKKAH

(And other holiday and fun stuff)

 

 
WHY LOOK IT UP IN YOUR FUNK AND WAGNALLS?

(When you've got h2g2)

 

 
MONSTERS FROM OUTER AND INNER SPACE

(What the cool people are up to)

 

 
COMMUNITY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
FEEDBACK, SUBMISSIONS AND DISCUSSION


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87709503

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more